Wahoo Phaser Sounds

For the Wahoo™ Dual-Analogue, Digitally-Controlled Wah/Filter Pedal

Moderators: johnmc, james

Jonners

Wahoo Phaser Sounds

Post by Jonners »

Hi folks,

I haven't found anything in the manual about setting up phaser sounds. What is possible, and how can it be varied?

Thanks.
CaBleman

Re: Wahoo Phaser Sounds

Post by CaBleman »

It's probably easiest via USB driven editor software. I have not looked just now, but there should be adjustable phase for each filter path, don't remember if this can be animated?
For starters, load a phaser sound preset in thst software and have a look at the settings there...

CaB
Jonners

Post by Jonners »

I can't see any way to adjust the phase angle or even the number of poles 'on purpose'. As far as I know that a traditional RC filter shifts it by 90 degrees so maybe it simulates that.
I can't try it out (yet) as I'm asking with a view to buy (not that this is a deal-breaker, I just thought I'd ask).
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

The Wahoo is not a traditional phaser which uses all-pass filters (so they adjust phase but not frequency response).

However, by setting the filters in certain ways you can get very phaser-like sounds... you won't be able to replicate exactly what other phasers sound like. It's a different sound, but more importantly it sounds very nice.

You can set this up by enabling both filters on the Wahoo, and set them to very similar settings. Next you adjust one of them slightly so the sweep of the filters don't quite match. This gets the phaser sound because the phase of each filter is varying relative to each other.

One of the factory presets does this by setting the filters to band-pass and one sweeps from 600Hz to 2500Hz, and the other from 400Hz to 2500Hz. Both are driven from an LFO and synchronised together. Because the filters are analogue they are not perfectly matched, so you still get some phasing when both are set to the same settings.. another reason why it sounds so nice.

There's a clip of this preset here: https://youtu.be/BWwRwRqfja4?t=1m42s
Jonners

Post by Jonners »

Thanks James. I can understand that explanation. Really appreciate it.

Just listening to the video, it seems to clip out on most of the demos. Is that because of the gain setting? I notice they warn about not setting it too low. Is it possible to get good clean sounds?

Jonathan
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

Yes, you can reduce the input gain "drive" to clean it up. I can't remember what the amp settings were on that video, there was probably some drive on the amp too.
Jonners

Post by Jonners »

OK. Thank for your time again (I know it's in your interest, but I still appreciate it). I'm just offloading some stuff on eBay then I'll be in for the two pedals I think.

The i2M will have to wait though. I can't afford the time to start playing with those possibilities.
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

:-)