Desktop Editor - Virus Warning by Chrome and Totalvirus

For the Wahoo™ Dual-Analogue, Digitally-Controlled Wah/Filter Pedal

Moderators: johnmc, james

CaBleman

Desktop Editor - Virus Warning by Chrome and Totalvirus

Post by CaBleman »

James,
I was just downloading the new Desktop Editor versions fpor Wahoo and Voluum.
For both of them Chrome browser in Windows 10 said "this could be harmful, do not continue to download".
Then I uploaded to totalvirus.com, please see the result here:
https://www.virustotal.com/de/file/b6d3 ... 476474780/
(one positive)
My local AV softeware did not report anything though.
Just to make sure, could you please investigate how a signature of virus.win32.sality.at could get into your installers?

Kind regards,
Carsten

PS: (I saw something similiar before with a driver install for PS3 camera I think, in the context of aerodrums software).
james
Site Admin

Re: Desktop Editor - Virus Warning by Chrome and Totalvirus

Post by james »

It is not a virus.

The editor does actually use virus-like techniques to prevent it being modified, and so guards against being infected by viruses. But it doesn't do any virus-like bad things... it's only used to guard itself. Interestingly, this is part of our own (very robust) copy-protection but since the editor is free, the copy-protection parts of it are not enabled.

If the editor runs, you can be sure it is safe. It won't run if infected by any virus.

Ideally, you can report this as a false-positive to the virus scanner vendor so they can remove the desktop editors from their lists.
CaBleman

Re: Desktop Editor - Virus Warning by Chrome and Totalvirus

Post by CaBleman »

Good morning James,
thank you for reassuring us.
I would have thought so, but better safe than sorry.
In the above link it is mentioned which of the 55 antivirus products on virustotal.com gives the false positive...
But also Google with its Chrome browser also reported it as potentially harmful when attempting to download. That was actually the alerting part.

Kind regards, CaB