External input for envelope

For the Wahoo™ Dual-Analogue, Digitally-Controlled Wah/Filter Pedal

Moderators: johnmc, james

josh777

External input for envelope

Post by josh777 »

Hi,

Is it possible to modify the Yahoo so it accepts an external input for the envelope detection part? I'll be presenting it with a buffered signal, I imagine should it be in the range 0-5V? Is this what the 5x2 grid on the pcb on the left (as looking with the back off) is for?

Many thanks,

Josh
james
Site Admin

Re: External input for envelope

Post by james »

Yes, I'm sure you can do this.

The envelope is detected from the audio signal. A buffered version of the audio signal is sent to the processor to extract the envelope and also the pitch information (for pitch wah effects).

On the analogue board (the big one), look for C59 - a small surface mount capacitor. This is near the connector that joins the analogue and digital boards together.

What you need to do is remove C59 and connect your signal to the left-most pad (it goes to R105). You'll need to connect it through a capacitor (100nF is a good value). The signal range should be 0-3.3V (not 5.0V), the capacitor will ensure this is biased at the correct voltage.
josh777

Post by josh777 »

Thankyou ever so much for your reply, not many other people would divulge this! It will be much more useful to me this way though so I'm glad you did.

I'll do it this week and tell you how I get on.

josh
superheavyfunk

Post by superheavyfunk »

Josh777, please do let us know how this works out (add pics or a vid, if you can!). This is a mod that would really open the wahoo up for some seriously cool applications, and I'd love to give it a try.