Possibly weird MIDI suggestion

For the Wahoo™ Dual-Analogue, Digitally-Controlled Wah/Filter Pedal

Moderators: johnmc, james

Jonners

Possibly weird MIDI suggestion

Post by Jonners »

I had the perverse thought of creating a patch that would allow the drive to be pedal controlled. But looking at the software interface, this isn't (or doesn't appear to be) an option.

My idea was to have both drive and output pedal controlled, inversely proportional, so that the overall output remains the same.

Now, my thoughts went to MIDI control. I don't know if it is possible to control the drive and output level via MIDI (?).

Regardless of that, here's the extended query.

Is it possible to use the MIDI out from the WAHOO into a PC that then sends modulating signals back to the WAHOO to more control parameters within it? Essentially opening up everything that can be MIDI controlled, but still using the expression pedal output to drive the signals?

(The software side of this is another question ... but I'm sure there are sequencers that would sort this out)

As an aside, I'm not sure if this is on the software suggestions, but any additional assignment of variables to the pedal (or LFO or Envelope) would be on my list.

(Hopefully this isn't one of the embarrassing threads where James tells us it already does all of that ... :oops: )
james
Site Admin

Re: Possibly weird MIDI suggestion

Post by james »

The problem with controlling drive and output level via MIDI is that these controls are not smooth - the use digital pots so you could get clicks when the level changes (unlike the Voluum, for example, which uses a VCA to do level control smoothly).

You can control the filters using MIDI, so there's no reason why you couldn't have a program that accepted the MIDI from the expression pedal then send other controllers to control the filter (cutoff and resonance). I'm sure you could do very interesting things this way.
Jonners

Re: Possibly weird MIDI suggestion

Post by Jonners »

Thanks James.

Yes, endless possibilities. So, I could use the WAHOO pedal to the VOLUUM for output (smoothing that out) and via MIDI send back a variation of drive in the WAHOO.

I have had thoughts of some extreme Formant vowel sound variations via MIDI inputs ... using the Expression pedal output to drive a more non-linear MIDI variation coming back in.