perhaps a bug

For the Voluum™ Digitally-Controlled Analogue Volume Effects Pedal

Moderators: johnmc, james

Flop54

perhaps a bug

Post by Flop54 »

Hello.

I have a question. when i use a straight tremolo (square) with a midi sync. sometimes when i stop the song the voluum stop on the silence position (no sound and leds off) sometimes she stop on the full position (sound and leds on). When i restart the sonnus is up side down if she stop on the wrong position.. Is it normal?
I hope you understand what it try mean...
james
Site Admin

Re: perhaps a bug

Post by james »

Presumably when you stop the song, MIDI clock stops and that's why the tremolo stops.

When clock restarts, the tremolo will continue from where it started. However, if MIDI start is sent (or MIDI song position pointer is sent) this will set the phase of the LFO to its starting point so it should be the same each time you restart it.
Flop54

Post by Flop54 »

Hye James,

it's been for a long time
I have always the same problem i will try toworrow but the wahoo seems to be better than the voluum to follow midi sync tempo.
I use a straight tremolo and sometimes it is on time with my computeur sometimes not. I try different ways but it's always the same conclusion.

Sometimes it works sometines not.

I change my configuration now a midi file play and send some midi message trough my line 6 helix. The helix control and send midi sync with to the other FX (wahoo voluum strymon mobius and strymon timeline).

When the voluum begin his lfo phase?
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

Hi,

The LFOs on the Voluum and Wahoo are very similar, and improvements that were added have been added to both products. So I do not expect there to be a significant difference between them. However, the implementation in slightly different internally, so there is always the possibility of subtle differences, or errors.

the Voluum's LFO phase should be very similar to the Wahoo.
Flop54

Post by Flop54 »

ok i was thinking it because the lfo dosen't run in the wahoo if there is no tempo midi message. And there is a param in the voluum called freerun lfo.
But i have done some test and it seems that all the pedal (sonuus strymon line 6) are synchronised but begin their phase at random.

I set a tremolo on strymon mobius line 6 helix and voluum and a wha on the wahoo. When i play sometimes they are together sometimes not. the tempo is the same but not the point depart.

It's crazy

But i think after all it's a line 6 problem because when i use a computer it's not the same... i will tell you when i find!
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

The Wahoo and Voluum LFOs will be reset if the MIDI start message is sent. Song Position Pointer can also align the LFO to a beat.

Typically, before starting playing, MIDI clock is not being sent and MIDI start is then sent. The device will wait for MIDI clock before starting, so this ensures all equipment is synchronised to the MIDI clock by allowing devices time to prepare (more important for older equipment that is slow to respond).

I look forward to learning what you discover.
Flop54

Post by Flop54 »

ok but what is the message to sendthe song position?

Do you think that sending message and tempo at the same time is dangerous or not?
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

Here's some info on Song Position Pointer: http://midi.teragonaudio.com/tech/midispec/ssp.htm

No problem sending this at the same time as MIDI clock. Indeed many DAWs do this so that the song position is updated at the start of each bar.
Flop54

Post by Flop54 »

Thank you very i start to understand perhaps where is the problem.. My last question if i don't bother you. I try send bone fx to read the clock message from my computeur. I have some FA (start) most of F8 (time) and FC (stop)
Can i send a message like FA with a midi message like CC or not. Sorry i know that it's not a problem with one of your product but you are helping me a lot!!
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

The MIDI messages from F8 to FF are all real-time, single-byte messages. The MIDI specification states that these can be sent in the middle of other messages without problems, and that they should take priority when handled to ensure highest timing accuracy.

So, there is no problem sending these at the same time as sending other messages.