Wahoo and midi sync without a computer/cable question

For the Wahoo™ Dual-Analogue, Digitally-Controlled Wah/Filter Pedal

Moderators: johnmc, james

thermos

Wahoo and midi sync without a computer/cable question

Post by thermos »

Hi! Just got a Wahoo. It really has all of the features I've been looking for in a filter pedal. To call it a wah is honestly a bit of an insult! I think the buzz on this pedal hasn't even started honestly.

I want to sync it to midi over usb without a computer, such that the lfos in Wahoo can sync to the output of my Korg Monologue. I was wondering if I could simply use something like this: https://www.amazon.com/iConnectivity-mi ... ZD4YVEERDK
and a USB adapter like this: https://www.amazon.com/Generic-Type-Fem ... B000AA2SMS

Or do I need something thats powered like the Kenton MIDI USB Host MkII?

Thanks!
james
Site Admin

Re: Wahoo and midi sync without a computer/cable question

Post by james »

I'm very pleased to hear that you like the Wahoo so much. I agree that the buzz on this pedal hasn't really started: not that many people know about it!

To get 5-pin MIDI you need a "USB Host". The iConnectivity mio won't do this. Neither will the Adapter you found on Amazon: that's just some wiring to convert the connection type. USB-MIDI needs an intelligent processor to handle the MIDI conversion.

The Kenton MIDI USB Host works great.

This also works very well (and it cheaper): http://www.hobbytronics.co.uk/usb-midi-converter (We worked with Hobby Tronics to ensure compatibility with all our products.)
thermos

Post by thermos »

Great, thanks James! I'll get one of those. Seriously this pedal is crazy cool, I think once bass players know what kind of sound design/synth textures its capable of its gonna fly off the shelves. I can't really think of a competing product that does what it does.
sfsax

Post by sfsax »

I'd like to ask again the same question, because the HobbyTronics converter
is no more available unfortunately. Is the Kenton converter the only option?
It seems a little pricey for its purpose, although I really need the midi option
on my board.
Thanks!

Serge.

PS: I am also an happy Wahoo user. At present, it's simply the best filter
pedal that I found for wind instruments: it's very tweakable, sounds great,
and presets are super useful. A smaller stompbox model (with expression
input and regular midi connection) would be amazing though...
Tefun

Post by Tefun »

Hello,
same here !
Longtime Wahoo user, i've finally decided to buy a switcher (MusicomLab EFX MkV) ans was hoping to control the wahoo with the switcher via midi / usb … but when i see the price of the kenton converter ! On the other hand the Hobbytronics is discontinued.
Heeeeelllllllp ;-)

Best regards.
Stéphen.