i2m with voice - Pitch Bend Release

The i2M musicport™ MIDI Converter & Hi-Z USB Audio Interface

Moderators: johnmc, james

Shivaranjan

i2m with voice - Pitch Bend Release

Post by Shivaranjan »

Hi,

Is there a way to control how fast the pitch bend releases? Perhaps my terminology is not appropriate so let me try to explain it. I just sing into i2m with voice and convert it to MIDI. Suppose I want to pitch bend a note. Things work as expected and I see a non zero pitch bend value. However, when I end the note (stop singing the note) the pitch immediately goes back to 0 thus creating an artifact. Is there a way to control this pitch bend snapping to 0? Or am I not using i2m the right way? I use Logic Pro X so I would appreciate any advise to do this within the DAW too. I am happy to provide more details if required.

Thanks.
-Shiva.
james
Site Admin

Re: i2m with voice - Pitch Bend Release

Post by james »

Hi Shiva,

There isn't currently a way to control the pitch-bend release. As you have found the pitch-bend is reset as soon as the note stops. This is great if you are switching between using the i2M and a keyboard, because then the keyboard won't end up with strange pitch-bends after you use the i2M. But, if you have sounds with a slower release, you will hear this pitch-bend resetting when the note stops.

We have actually been experimenting with a different way of doing this. After the note-off, the pitch-bend is not reset, so it stays at its last value allowing any long-release notes to decay without a pitch-change. The pitch-bend is then reset on the next note-on. The down-side of doing this is if you stop using the i2M and play a keyboard on the same patch, the pitch-bend might be wrong.

I can send you a test version of i2M firmware that implements this if you would like to try it? I think it will do what you want it to.

James
Shivaranjan

Post by Shivaranjan »

Hi James,

You are correct! I did not think about it. I tested a bit after your reply and found that it only happens with slower release instruments/articulations. I would be glad to test your test firmware. So, would that firmware let me toggle between pitch bend reset on/off? If yes, I can always toggle back to the reset on mode before using another MIDI input. Of course, I cannot use the MIDI input simultaneously with i2m but that is not a problem for now.

I didn't know how to mess with the i2m, so I worked out a temporary solution with logic pro x. First, I recorded a guide track (audio). Then I would record each instance in the tune that requires a "note on" with the i2m. This means either just a note or a note+pitch-bend+vibrato. I was singing out until the instrument completely decayed. Then, I would bounce it to audio, place them into proper time line with the help of the guide track and use crossfade. This results in one tune and fairly closely models the guide track.

It did provide me good results but it was a very time consuming process. I can send you a demo if you like. I think your test firmware should work for me and make things a lot easier.

Thanks.
-Shiva.
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

I will send you new firmware to test. I'll also send you a PM because I want to ask you some extra information.

The new firmware doesn't let you switch where the pitch-bend is sent. To toggle between modes, you need to change between firmware versions. We may add this as an option in the future.
carlatyler

Post by carlatyler »

james wrote:I will send you new firmware to test. I'll also send you a PM because I want to ask you some extra information.
run 3
The new firmware doesn't let you switch where the pitch-bend is sent. To toggle between modes, you need to change between firmware versions. We may add this as an option in the future.
Thanks for that, I tried an instrument track and a midi track and the i2M works that way.