Voluum Sending Unwanted Midi CC

For the Voluum™ Digitally-Controlled Analogue Volume Effects Pedal

Moderators: johnmc, james

benevan

Voluum Sending Unwanted Midi CC

Post by benevan »

I am using a Voluum in conjunction with several other MIDI enabled effects pedals in a chain. In this chain, I have the Voluum set up to send expression over MIDI on CC 11. This seems to work fine for controlling expression parameters on the other MIDI connected devices, but on one of the connected devices I experience some noise whenever the treadle on the Voluum is actuated.

In order to troubleshoot this issue, I used the MIDI-Ox program to monitor the MIDI data being sent from the Voluum. According to the MIDI-Ox information, the Voluum is sending MIDI CC 11 and MIDI CC 43. It turns out that the MIDI CC 43 is mapped to the distortion parameter on one of my other connected devices, thus causing the noise I was experiencing.

I have read through the MIDI portion of the Voluum’s manual and I cannot find any information about MIDI CC 43. In the Voluum PC editor, I have the expression controller parameter set to "11: expression"; in the drop down options for this parameter, I see that "43:expression" is an option, but I do not have it selected. Could this possibly be causing the issue I am facing? Please advise how MIDI CC 43 can be disabled.
james
Site Admin

Re: Voluum Sending Unwanted Midi CC

Post by james »

In the desktop editor, on the "midi" tab, enable "send only 7-bit controller" under the expression pedal setting.

By default, 14-bit MIDI controllers are sent to give maximum resolution. MIDI allows this by combining two controllers, one for coarse and one for fine adjustment. In this case, 11 is used for coarse and 43 is used for fine (11 + 32 = 43).

If you only send 7-bit controller messages, the fine adjustment (controller 43) won't be sent.
benevan

Re: Voluum Sending Unwanted Midi CC

Post by benevan »

Thank you for the reply. This fixed it.