LFO MIDI Sync not working

For the Wahoo™ Dual-Analogue, Digitally-Controlled Wah/Filter Pedal

Moderators: johnmc, james

Vintageconn

LFO MIDI Sync not working

Post by Vintageconn »

I haven't been able to get MIDI Sync to work. Desktop & firmware: 1.5.00, hardware: 1.0.00

I have F1 in LFO mode. The filter sweeps when I use Tempo or Pedal mode - I can hear it, and I can see it using the Wahoo editor. (It's hard to tell if Tap Tempo is working.) I've tried 2 ways to implement MIDI Sync:

1) I've tried 2 computers, 2 different USB cables, using a program called "Pocket MIDI" to send the Timing Clock signal. The filter just sits there, every once in a while there is some jitter of activity but I think it's only line noise. The BPM signal loops back correctly to the USB "MIDI in" port on the computer so I assume it made the round trip thru the Wahoo. I've successfully sent program change & bypass to the pedal with these setups. I've run the pedal on USB power, 9V supply, and batteries during these tests.

2) I've put the Wahoo in the MIDI highway of my effects rack, using a Kenton unit to convert 5-pin MIDI > USB MIDI (Wahoo) > 5-pin MIDI. I've successfully sent program change & bypass to the pedal. A MIDI clock device, which responds to tapping a foot controller, merges the BPM signal into the MIDI stream on all 16 channels. I can see the BPM correctly displayed on an effects unit upstream of the Wahoo, and I can read the BPM signal downstream of the Wahoo, so I assume the BPM signal went thru the Kenton, the Wahoo, and back thru the Kenton.

Any suggestions?

Thanks, Charlie
Vintageconn

Re: LFO MIDI Sync not working - figured it out

Post by Vintageconn »

I figured it out - the Wahoo needs to see a MIDI Start (FA) or Continue (FB) command before it will respond to MIDI Clock. I have a MIDI Clock source in my effects rack that responds to tapping a Boss FS-5U foot switch, the clock source doesn't send Start or Continue. I'll have to figure out a way to get those commands into the MIDI stream.