Its just not working

The B2M™ Universal Bass to MIDI Converter.

Moderators: johnmc, james

johnmc
Site Admin

Re: Its just not working

Post by johnmc »

Thanks. If you can record the audio (or preferably both audio and associated MIDI output) that would be best. We can't tell too much from the MIDI alone.

Please send it to enquiries _at_ sonuus.com.

Thanks,

John.
wolfduke

Post by wolfduke »

Okay, I might have figured something out here. I play a low action and although as a live setting there is no discernible problem with that, the B2M is clearly receiving artifices from minute fret buzz which makes it useless. I've got it performing to a much better standard now, not perfect but something I can work with in a studio environment. I will have to dedicate a separate bass to work with this as it interferes with my preferred settings live. There's no way this device could be used live but I dont think it was designed for that anyway.
Keep on working on those algorithms guys as theres plenty of room for improvement but on a cost to performance basis this was a worthwhile purchase... Cheers
loekazz

Post by loekazz »

Same issues here,

I have 2 experienced bass players trying to play whith it, they used different pick up settings and also tried out the manual tips, but still notes jump randomly to octaves and fifths higher. Looks like the device tracks the overtones of the strings to much. Also, tracking an eight note pattern on one string/tone (something that's happening very often in pop and electro music) seems to fail: not all eight notes are tracked, even at slow tempo's...

I am using a solid laptop system with low latency (recent laptop and RME Multiface II soundcard), which I also use for playing keys live. We want to have the bass player to play (bass) synth patches, but pitty enough this thing ain't gonna help us a lot, I'm affraid.

I think the unit is not descent enough to play live, and that was the only reason why I bought it. Not to play flute or sax for a promotional demo video...
loekazz

Post by loekazz »

I have tried the B2M again today, now with double bass and also by playing the lowest sounding string of an accoustic guitar...

The tracking went better, especially in case of the double bass. But, still I must say the unit is not performing good enough to rely on it and play a nice and relaxed groove (especially in a live situation). This is also because of the latency that seemed to be problematic as well (I had the B2M connected directly to my keyboard, so there is no compuer related latency in this case)...

I feel quite dissapointed about my purchase now, as this product isn't really doing what I expected it to do.

so, here my personal findings on the promotional summarized text about the B2M:

•Any electric bass guitar can be used as a solo MIDI controller. - accoustic bass performed 'best'

•No instrument modifications or special pickups required. - changing pickup settings are advised in the manual, so don't expect to be able doubling your preferred bass sound with another synth sound produced via the B2M

•Robust note detection — minimises wrong notes. - I really wouldn't dare to call this robust note detection, if I made such thing myself...

•Very low latency & very fast tracking. - you can even hear the delay between the striking of the strings and the produced tone via the B2M, even if no computer based sounds are played so no extra latency is being added

•Fast, accurate MIDI pitch-bend or chromatic mode. same latency issue here, of course

And finally:

Most of all, it's Fun!
When you try the B2M™ and generate some new sounds, the first thing that strikes you is how much fun it is. Unleash new creative inspiration and invigorate your soul.

It's quite frustrating that this isn't more than some plastic made home studio gear (again), which I even wouldn't want to use for music notation! This thing is not inspiring and usefull at all...
shubbell

Post by shubbell »

What you are probably experiencing is sympathetic ringing or an inadvertent harmonic that will change the octave that the B2M picks up. It really comes down to your muting technique. Also, playing legato improves the tracking. Obviously, ghost notes do not work so well. I play 5, 6 and 7 string basses. It tracks really well with legato playing and good muting. I believe the manual says you will improve your technique. The video demos are right on. Look at the players. Their technique is what makes the B2M work. Well...I think Dickens has a special pickup system, but...
It will not track really fast plucked playing, but my experience with other more expensive units exhibit the same thing. For a $100, one can improve playing technique and have fun at the same time.

Scott
loekazz

Post by loekazz »

Yes, it must have something to do with the harmonics, but it also happened on long sustained tones.

Maybe one can improve/change his technique to compensate for the tracking, but you simply can't eleminate the latency, unless you play lightspeed-fast and get 30ms advantage out of that. I don't see any way to have fun or play a simple solid groove in a comfortable way, with that amount of delay between what you play and what you hear. I'd like to see all hands rising by those who use this unit live...
loekazz

Post by loekazz »

I'm selling mine at half the price. Anyone?
jimstonpickle

Post by jimstonpickle »

Hello,

I am having a very similar problem as described. I am very excited to get this up and running and intend to use this live so that I can control a hard synth and blend that with my bass signal.

At the moment I am using it to control a Nord Electro 3 and I am getting some downright freaky results.

I am using a Tobias 5 string and cannot get the B2m to respond lower than C on my e string. Sometimes it registers a fifth above, the wrong octave or even a tritone above. there is a lot of glitching, even if plucking open strings. At the moment it is completely un-usable.

I own an Electroharmonix Bass Microsynth (that I intend to replace with this new setup) which tracks the bass note and turns it into a sqaure wave and whilst I consider the track on this to be quite slow it is current 100 times better than what is happening now.

Do I need to send it back?

regards

James
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

James, the fact that it just won't respond to the low notes suggests something is wrong. Either the B2M is faulty and needs to be replaced or the signal from your guitar is too low (or too high). Can you get the CLIP LED to light?

If you ensure you are only playing 1 string, and play the notes cleanly and slowly, if the B2M is working correctly it should output the correct note and that note should sustain for a long time without much pitch bend data being sent. If you can't get it to pass this simple test, the B2M should be replaced under warranty.

Also, on your synth, check the pitch bend setting just to be sure it's set to +/-2 semitones to match the B2M, otherwise it can sound strange and cause confusion.
jimstonpickle

Post by jimstonpickle »

Thanks for the prompt reply.

I love the concept of this thing and am keen to get it to work as it would be perfect for me.

I was very aware of the clip light coming on, so i reduced the volume on my bass.

I will double check the pitch bend settings and try again. If the unit still does not track the 5 string and it is to be returned. Would I return it directly to Sonusus or to the retailer?

regards

James