cabling for bass/B2M setup on stage

The B2M™ Universal Bass to MIDI Converter.

Moderators: johnmc, james

jgeltme

cabling for bass/B2M setup on stage

Post by jgeltme »

Hi-

New member. If I want to use B2M live with my electric bass and a MIDI sound module (Roland Sound Canvas SC-55), what do I plug into my amp head? The Sound Canvas only has R and L RCA audio output jacks. Should I use an RCA to quarter inch adapter and run it to the amp head? Complete cabling would be bass to M2B bass input, MIDI cable from M2B to Sound Canvas, and cable from Sound Canvas to amp head?
Thanks in advance.
StickPlayer

Re: cabling for bass/B2M setup on stage

Post by StickPlayer »

If you have ONE input on your bass head, you'll need some sort of mixer.

With a mixer you can have BOTH your electric bass AND sound module available - simultaneously, or each one individually.

Morley makes a pedal that would work for your set up:

Morley ABY Mix Mixer/Combiner Pedal - $90.

As far as the Roland Sound Canvas output, you could get an RCA Y-cable to combine the L&R signals and plug into one of the inputs of the Morley. Plug your bass into the B2M and from the B2M output to the other input of the Morley. The MIDI Out of the B2M to the MIDI In of the Roland Sound Canvas.

With this model of Morley pedal, it allows you to mix BEFORE going to your bass amp - very helpful.
jgeltme

Post by jgeltme »

Thank you for your response. Very helpful. I do have two inputs on my Fender Bassman amp, but the Morley sounds as if I'd get more control from where I stand Thanks again.
StickPlayer

Post by StickPlayer »

Since you have a two-input amp, maybe run the synth module into the second channel (different EQ). BUT... put a volume pedal in between the synth and the amp. There maybe be times when you want only your bass, then you can control the volume or mute the synth with the volume pedal.
jgeltme

Post by jgeltme »

OK, thanks again. More good advice. If you don't mind, I have another question. This may be simplistic, but with the setup as you have advised, I should be able to set my Sound Canvas synth module to a patch such as "Rich Strings", for example, and then actually get that sound by playing notes on my bass guitar. My bass is essentially the device that triggers the sound? I realize that the "Rich Strings" patch will sound bottom-heavy and "bassy". I can mix this sound with the normal bass sound (because of the volume pedal running from the Sound Canvas to the amp ).

If I dampen the bass string to stop the bass from sounding, I imagine the Sound Canvas part of the sound may continue to ring out? I would probably have to play with the Attack-Sustain-Release-Decay settings on the Sound Canvas to control this part of the sound?

Well, I guess that was actually more than one question. Just trying to figure this stuff out.

Thank you for your help.

- John G.
StickPlayer

Post by StickPlayer »

I should be able to set my Sound Canvas synth module to a patch such as "Rich Strings", for example, and then actually get that sound by playing notes on my bass guitar. My bass is essentially the device that triggers the sound?
Yes, that is correct. Your bass will become the controller (monophonic).
I realize that the "Rich Strings" patch will sound bottom-heavy and "bassy"
Not necessarily. You can transpose the sound module "up" one or two octaves (or more). You may even be able to transpose other intervals as well (i. e., fifths, thirds, etc.).
I can mix this sound with the normal bass sound (because of the volume pedal running from the Sound Canvas to the amp ).
Yes.
If I dampen the bass string to stop the bass from sounding, I imagine the Sound Canvas part of the sound may continue to ring out? I would probably have to play with the Attack-Sustain-Release-Decay settings on the Sound Canvas to control this part of the sound?
Yes.

I have the B2M MIDI-merged with an M-Audio Oxygen 8 Keyboard Controller to a Moog Taurus 3. I have a piano-like sustain pedal plugged into the Oxygen 8 so that I can sustain/hold notes played from my bass via the B2M.
leonrossdale

Post by leonrossdale »

Yeah, you could get an RCA Y-cable to combine the L&R signals and plug into one of the inputs of the Morley, as far as the Roland Sound Canvas output. I recommend you to try the Morley ABY Mix Mixer/Combiner Pedal that is said above. It is the best.