tracking other instruments than bass or guitar

All general pitch-to-MIDI thoughts, suggestions, complaints, etc.

Moderators: johnmc, james

dkk

tracking other instruments than bass or guitar

Post by dkk »

The g2m has differs from the b2m in range and latency specs, so I bet they use a different algorithm to track pitch. I would like to know how they differ exactly, as I'm always hungry for such details. But my main interest is practical. I play a many different instruments, but I suck at playing keys, big time.

Which of the two, b2m or g2m, would track other inputs like voice or harmonica better?

How good is the bass version at tracking guitar tones?

Thanks!
james
Site Admin

Re: tracking other instruments than bass or guitar

Post by james »

The B2M is newer than the G2M, so it has a few differences, but the basic technology is the same in each.

The B2M has better rejection of signals with high harmonic content, such as harmonics. And it also has a chromatic mode, which the G2M doesn't have. The B2M woks great with guitar; the only down-side is that it won't track the top octave of a guitar (above E5).

So, if you don't need the highest notes, I would suggest the B2M.
dkk

Post by dkk »

Thank you, James.

This does help and I'll buy the b2m today.
dkk

Post by dkk »

Thanks again James. The unit arrived today and performs very well. I plugged in a mic (crystal mic, omni, high output if connected to a high impedance input)
Singing is tracked very well. Fast scatting is a bit messy, but still it tracks very well. Octave jumps are controllable.
Harmonica: It tracks the lowest 6 holes of a G harmonica, which is what most people play.
Chords: If hit a chord on the harmonica, it takes some time to come up with a note, then chooses a note that is either in the chord or harmonizes. Dividers like octavers cannot do this.
It also stops notes very reliably. Should a note hang, a simple click is enough to stop it. Very intuitive.
The "chromatic" switch is indeed usefull.
Pitchbend information is very precisely following the actual input.
Bravo! I'm very happy with it.
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

Thank you for sharing your results.

I am very pleased that you are happy with the B2M :P