Question about the i2m and my signal chain

The i2M musicport™ MIDI Converter & Hi-Z USB Audio Interface

Moderators: johnmc, james

civictiger

Question about the i2m and my signal chain

Post by civictiger »

Hello Sonuus/James

I am very interested in the i2m, aswell as the b2m, but I think the i2m may be slightly more in what I am looking for.
I am basically going to be using either of the two products to power my bass sounds using programs such as Cubase and Reason, which is where the i2m will become useful as it is more easier to connect to a pc with.

However, I will also (eventually) need to be able to use this set-up live, so my question would be that would the b2m be better as it can send out a clean bass tone to my amp aswell as the midi to my pc to power the 2 sounds together.
Also, with 2 sounds being produced, will the tracking cause the clean to hit first and the effected sound after, or will the tracking cause both of them to be late and then both of the sounds will be heard together/at the same time?

What would you recommend?
james
Site Admin

Re: Question about the i2m and my signal chain

Post by james »

For using with an amp, the B2M has an obvious advantage of having a THRU connection so you can easily hook up your amp and your B2M at the same time.

With the i2M , this isn't so easy. However, because the i2M has a very high input impedance, if you have a suitable "Y" connector/cable, you could tap off the signal into the i2M and it won't affect the signal going to your amp.

Although computer-based, we added features that are very useful in a live situation. For example, if you have a MIDI foot switch, you can use that to control the i2M as a "hold" switch, so you can sustain MIDI notes while you play other bass notes on top. By setting up the zones in a certain way, you can also use this "hold" function to enable the MIDI function only when you need it.

As for tracking, it depends a little on your setup...

If your bass is going straight into your amp, that will be immediate and will always be heard before any MIDI sounds.

With the i2M, using the audio input the latency depends on your computer/software and what drivers you are using to output the sound. In badly setup systems, you can even hear the MIDI sounds before the audio input!

But, generally, as long as your computer is setup for low-latency audio, any tracking delays are minimal. Only on the lowest notes (where a note period can be 30-40ms) does it become obvious. It's not possible to track a note faster that it's period (limitations of physics, unfortunately).