Smart Harmonizing

The i2M musicport™ MIDI Converter & Hi-Z USB Audio Interface

Moderators: johnmc, james

ruairiau

Smart Harmonizing

Post by ruairiau »

As you can see from my last post, I've just purchased the I2M and I'm reading up on the software while I wait for it to be delivered.

I noticed that I can have 6 channels of MIDI from one source simulataneously and transpose each one. Which leads me to my suggestion, is there any way the software could be updated to allow for smart harmonizing (similar to that in Line 6 spider IV amps) for each of these channels? By this I mean, set a root key, the scale and the step? e.g. C#, Harmonic Minor, +3rd.

Cheers,
Ruairi
james
Site Admin

Re: Smart Harmonizing

Post by james »

Thanks for the suggestion, and I like it. I've added it to our list of suggestions for future firmware updates.
L13

Post by L13 »

yes
this is a work around for chording?
templates for all triads /chords/subs and extensions mapped to 6 channels note on off in chord banks
set it up diatonically
hmmm is this possible
if so could be expanded to mirotonal scales /indian microtone scales etc
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

This could be done -- I'll add it to the list too.

What do you think is the best way to use this? From a users point of view? i.e., what would the software look like?
BertAnt

Post by BertAnt »

how about plugin-style ? just as the 'tweakable' volume tracking option, not all the time this feature is needed, and wouldn't it be easier for future addition too if it comes as a plugin to the main software ?
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

Can't really do it as a plug-in because the main software doesn't actually do any processing, it just configures the i2M musicport settings. The actual "work" is one inside the i2M firmware. The big advantage of this is once it's setup you don't need the software to use the features.
L13

Post by L13 »

a grid would work
with each string mapped out on 24 frets
so the 1 chord in the key of g major or the 3rd fret 6th string would trigger all the notes of g major
go up a whole step to A and now we have flat 3rd minor/dorian
up a whole step to b -flat second/phyrigan /minor chord
so you pre pick a key for the amount of time you are in that key you have to play diatonically until you change strings

etc
it gets nuts with all the extensions but you could limit it to 9ths/11ths

as for microtuning /exotic scaling-this could be a preset option that subdivides pitch into say 5 semitones between whole steps

check the auto chord function of the yamaha qy 700 for a direction all ready taken-and they have editing software for it as well
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

Thanks, we'll investigate the options.
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

We have just released a firmware update for the i2M musicport which adds a new "scale" option to chromatic mode. In this mode, the transpose parameter will transpose by a fixed number of notes in the selected scale, rather than a fixed number of semitones. So when you harmonise everything will remain in the selected scale. You can also use it to build chords based on the scale/key, though you need to set this up manually. For the future we are thinking about options for "chording" to give more functionality.

Here is the main announcement: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=406