Trumpet + recording

The i2M musicport™ MIDI Converter & Hi-Z USB Audio Interface

Moderators: johnmc, james

dabram

Trumpet + recording

Post by dabram »

Hi,

I am looking for a product that ideally can allow me to play a trumpet and output sheet music. This seems to be the closest thing I've found, because if I can get to midi, I know I can get to sheet music, but I have two questions.

1. I have a Silent Brass system from Yamaha, so I believe I can use the output from that and plug it into the i2M using a 1/4" plug-1/8" plug adapter or cable. Will this work / how well does this product track a trumpet? It is monophonic, so if the tuning is right, I would expect (hope?) it to track pretty well, but I want to make sure before purchasing.

2. I know this outputs midi, but what else will I need to RECORD / save a midi track on my computer? An option that isn't too costly is preferred. I didn't see any 'record' features or anything here, just the ability to produce a midi output of some sort.

Thanks,
David
dabram

Re: Trumpet + recording

Post by dabram »

After a bit of searching, I find that programs like Finale and QuickScore also include the ability to output midi / sheet music straight from a recorded instrument. How does Sonuus i2M compare to these in terms of tracking for non guitar/bass instruments (ie trumpet). Since I need a program to ouput midi / sheet music anyway, what are the advantages of the i2M here?
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

The advantage of the i2M is that it works in real-time. If you don't need real-time, you can sometimes get better conversion results with an off-line process that converts the audio to MIDI because that can easily remove spurious notes that arise from short-duration pitched sounds that were not intentional (obviously, such rejection can't be done 100% reliably in real-time without adding latency). But the quality of conversion does vary between different products. We haven't tested Finale or QuickScore so I can't comment on how well those work.

Regarding your question about how the i2M works with trumpet, we haven't tested this a lot (we don't play trumpet), but we have a professional musician currently evaluating the i2M with saxophone/horns, to test how well it works and to do a review on how to get the best results. We will post details of this when we get them.
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

A review/demo of the i2M musicport with saxophone can be found here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMXx_fyV9-U