Ideal pickup and strings

The i2M musicport™ MIDI Converter & Hi-Z USB Audio Interface

Moderators: johnmc, james

liv

Ideal pickup and strings

Post by liv »

The I2M, what an excellent product! Great idea and elegant implementation.
I see your advice on using the neck pickup and light gages but what if one would dedicate a guitar for the I2M? Humbucker VS Singlecoil in the neck? A combination of neck and middle single coils? Round wound strings VS flat? We can all do our experiments but an official guideline from Sonuus would be better.
Also I think Sonuus should sponsor a bill that bans polyphony in all public venues, worldwide. I would vote for it.
Thank you.
james
Site Admin

Re: Ideal pickup and strings

Post by james »

The I2M, what an excellent product! Great idea and elegant implementation.
Thank you.
I see your advice on using the neck pickup and light gages but what if one would dedicate a guitar for the I2M? Humbucker VS Singlecoil in the neck? A combination of neck and middle single coils? Round wound strings VS flat? We can all do our experiments but an official guideline from Sonuus would be better.
There is not a big difference in performance with different strings/pickups, but in some case a few pointers can help users get better results. The key things are:

(1) Avoid non-playing strings vibrating when you are playing other stings. Sometimes lighter strings help with this since it's easier to damp them.

(2) If the fundamental tone of a note is suppressed it can cause "octave jumping" where the wrong octave is detected when you play a note. This is because there is no, or very little, of the fundamental tone present. This effect is more obvious when using a bridge pickup, particularly an active one. So, using the neck pickup can give more stable results simply because it preserves more of the fundamental tone of the string.

Comparing my guitars, I have found passive pickups work better than active ones because they don't artificially enhance small signals, in particular harmonics, which can cause "glitches" when you unfret strings if these harmonics ring out. I like humbuckers because of the noise-rejecting properties (and I also like their tone through an amp), but I can't say if single-coil is better/worse for MIDI.

I don't know what difference the string makes. Any difference will be down to the level of harmonics versus fundamental tone they produce, and possibly the amount of string noise. Flat wounds may be slightly better in that regard, but I've not tried them here.
Also I think Sonuus should sponsor a bill that bans polyphony in all public venues, worldwide. I would vote for it.
I like your thinking :D