i2M or G2M?

The i2M musicport™ MIDI Converter & Hi-Z USB Audio Interface

Moderators: johnmc, james

Mook

i2M or G2M?

Post by Mook »

I'd like to buy one of these but I'm not sure which to get. It looks like an inexpensive yet effective way to gain an introduction to using a guitar to do phrasings that I can't do on a keyboard.

I use 64 bit SONAR Producer with an Ediriol UA=25EX interface. Win 7 64 bit OS.

Here's what I'd like to do:

Load SONAR
Create a new MIDI track
Load a soft synth
Use my guitar to create a recorded MIDI track which I can later edit either using SONAR's MIDI editor (PRV) or change the synth after recording should I decide to do that.

I know I can do this using the G2M. Not sure I can do this with the i2M. I get confused over the USB vs MIDI-out that the G2M has.

If I can do that what advantages does the i2M provide over the G2M and how can I assure an interface vendor will supply me with a V2 G2M?

Any info would be helpful to me.

Thanks!
james
Site Admin

Re: i2M or G2M?

Post by james »

If you are using computer-based MIDI instruments (like you are), I recommend getting the i2M. Out of the box, it does everything the G2M can do (and incidentally the same as the B2M too). But you can also configure it's MIDI functionality to do quite a bit more, which can open up lots of extra possibilities once you start experimenting.

With the G2M, you connect the MIDI output to your UA-25EX.

With the i2M, the USB connection will make a new MIDI device ("i2M musicport") available in SONAR so you can access it directly. The MIDI latency with the direct USB connection from the i2M is a bit lower than you will get using the G2M to the UA-25EX.

The i2M also has an audio interface, which can be useful -- you probably don't need this since you have the UA-25EX.

If you want to be sure you get a G2M V2, I suggest you ask the seller before purchase if it's not clear.
Mook

Re: i2M or G2M?

Post by Mook »

Thanks, james!

I'll be ordering one today. i2M, that is.

Regards,
Mook