What the constrainer?

The i2M musicport™ MIDI Converter & Hi-Z USB Audio Interface

Moderators: johnmc, james

Bendric

What the constrainer?

Post by Bendric »

Hi

First: I try my i2m since few days, and i don't understand what the Constrainer in the Software! What's the utility of this option?

Second: Is it possible to select the notes you want to avoid playing? it's just to avoid false notes and harmonics!!!

For example, i want play A, E and B# in my bassline, so I don't need other notes!!!

I hope you understand my questions...

Bendric
james
Site Admin

Re: What the constrainer?

Post by james »

Bendric wrote: First: I try my i2m since few days, and i don't understand what the Constrainer in the Software! What's the utility of this option?
Bendric
The constrainer limits the range of the notes that are output. For example, if you limit the notes to a low octave (say E1-E2), regardless of what you play all MIDI notes will only fall withing the range E1-E2. This can be useful if you want to play a bass line while also playing lead parts. It works similar to a transpose but the offset between the MIDI note and the played note is not constant, so it can be more useful in certain situations.
Bendric wrote: Second: Is it possible to select the notes you want to avoid playing? it's just to avoid false notes and harmonics!!!

For example, i want play A, E and B# in my bassline, so I don't need other notes!!!
Bendric
If you adjust the "gate" only notes you play that fall within the gate region will be converted into MIDI notes, so you can use this to reject things such as spurious harmonics. The gate works on the input notes (i.e., the ones you actually play) whereas the constrainer works on output notes (i.e., the MIDI notes that have been generated).

If you don't want pitch-bend, you can also enable a scale in chromatic mode so only notes that fall on the scale can be played. Currently there are no 3-note scales available (the minimum is 5), but it's easy for us to add more in the editor. It's not currently possible for you to define a scale yourself (this may be possible in a future update). Note that scale mode was added in firmware update 1.1.0.