i2M without computer?

The i2M musicport™ MIDI Converter & Hi-Z USB Audio Interface

Moderators: johnmc, james

zenjazzplayer

i2M without computer?

Post by zenjazzplayer »

I have a G2M that I bought a few years ago to use with my trumpet and a Yamaha VL-70 hardware sound module, which has MIDI connectors for input/output. The G2M did not work well enough to use with the trumpet. There was a video of a bassoon player who used it and he explained you had to tweak the EQ to make it work better. I am considering buying the i2M, which can be configured for voice/wind instruments through the software. I watched the video of the alto sax player using the i2M and it seemed to work very well.

However, the G2M has a MIDI connector for output directly to the MIDI input of the VL-70 but the i2M has a USB connector for output. Is there any way to connect the i2M to a MIDI device like the VL-70 sound module without going through a computer? I don't want to have to buy a netbook or notebook just so I can use the i2M with the VL-70.

Is there any connector/adapter/cable to convert the USB out of the i2M to a MIDI connector? I understand that the i2M gets power from the USB connection to a computer, so I think I would need a standalone USB host controller (does such a thing exist?), not just a simple USB to MIDI convertor, which I already have; it's a USB male A connector, made to go into the USB port on a computer. I could get a gender changer for $2 to make it into a USB male B connector to plug into the USB out of the i2M but that would not provide power to the i2M.

I just bought a Casio WK-7500 keyboard and have the same problem with connecting it to other MIDI devices because it also has a USB connector female B as MIDI out.

Thanks.
james
Site Admin

Re: i2M without computer?

Post by james »

Unfortunately, there isn't a simple cable that does this.

I think the "iConnect" MIDI interface might work, but it seems rather expensive to use just as an adapter: http://www.iconnectmidi.com/
zenjazzplayer

Re: i2M without computer?

Post by zenjazzplayer »

Thanks! James, that's exactly what I need! I think iConnectMIDI is the first entry of this type in the field, but I suspect it won't be the last. As I mentioned, the Casio WK-7500 also uses a USB connector as MIDI in/out, and this may be a trend.

At $180 the iConnect is only $50 less than a netbook, but they say it has zero latency. I suspect that if I plug the i2M into a netbook and use a USB to MIDI cable from the netbook to a MIDI device like a sound module or another keyboard, etc., that setup might have latency problems.