Performing with i2M Audi-MIDI Feedback Loops

All general pitch-to-MIDI thoughts, suggestions, complaints, etc.

Moderators: johnmc, james

slate

Performing with i2M Audi-MIDI Feedback Loops

Post by slate »

I have generated automatic and human-automatic performances using the new
Sonuus i2M. It's easy! Tap the sound(s) you want to use as feedback with the mixer's
AUX output. Then use the AUX OUT to drive the i2M, and route its MIDI output back
to your computer. Those synths looking at the i2M MIDI will respond and create the
audio-MIDI feedback loop. It is automatic. You do not need to do anything else,
but tweaking the feedback loop can be trivial or challenging.

Feedback can run for hours, is chaotic, may have long periods of drones or near-silence
punctuated by frenzies of activity, and can get stuck in a strange attractor (sounds
like a stuck note). The performance may reach a crescendo and then stop, or it may
stop by dying out. In this sense a performance is like Conway's Game of Life—you
cannot predict from the initial settings if it will end, or when. The key to getting
interesting performances is tuning the soundscape to get just past Chris Langton's
"edge of chaos". Vary the volume of the AUX OUT. Try different sounds and combis, and
experiment with their volume, envelopes, and tempo (if the patch uses LFOs, etc.)

Mixed human-automatic performances with a MIDI controller are each unique. You can
even leave the piece running and get a cup of coffee! An automatic performance may
also sound like my performances when I sleep. Hear Old Aborigine in the Dreamtime at:

soundcloud.com/shamaniaq-slate

Yes, I regularly perform when I am sleeping! It is one way to find new musical
spaces, but using the i2M is much faster and easier!

Cheers! :D

Slate
slate

Re: Performing with i2M Audi-MIDI Feedback Loops

Post by slate »

Yo, i2M users!

You can hear a piece using automatic performance by audio-MIDI feedback with the i2M

It is called "Cold Lamb", an etude for cello and tube drum, performed in three parts:

1. Manual, introducing feedback
2. Automatic by audio-MIDI feedback fading to silence
3. Manual, removing feedback

The audio-MIDI feedback was created using the Sonuus i2M pitch-to-MIDI converter.

It is available for free streaming and downloads at:

http://www.reverbnation.com/5la7e

Better ideas :idea: from...

Slate!