latency problems, not tracking properly.

The i2M musicport™ MIDI Converter & Hi-Z USB Audio Interface

Moderators: johnmc, james

pappeon

latency problems, not tracking properly.

Post by pappeon »

Hi All.....Just received my I2M yesterday. Downloaded the software interface and upgraded the firmware to the latest. I'm poised and ready! I have a Mac Pro tower 8gigs of ram, quad core running the most recent version of OSX. I'm using a Digidesign rack 003 along with Logic Pro 9. I plugged in the I2M, connected my Yamaha BX1 bass and started playing. It won't track or keep up to my playing. Notes come out a semi lower or higher then they should be. Pops and stutters and so on. Now I can't blame my gear which has served me well so far. I have to blame me as a rookie user of I2M or the product which might not live up to the hype.
Anybody using similar gear and software to mine? Your help in setting up would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much

JimP
prometh

Re: latency problems, not tracking properly.

Post by prometh »

I'm running a MacBook Pro and am having the exact same issue. I even updated the firmware to be sure. I must have missed something in the manual..
My "Band": Chosen Blood

Instruments: BC Rich Warlock, Ibanez SR300, Washburn D10S
Signal Path: Instrument → Grace m101 → Axe-Fx II → Stewart World 1.2 → Atomic Reactor FRs
Other Equipment: MacBook Pro, Furman PF-Pro R, Yamaha HS50M
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

It's not possible to track very low notes very quickly. Perhaps this is what is going wrong: you are trying to play low notes too fast?

Regarding notes being a semitone out, this can happen if the tuning or intonation of the instrument isn't spot-on, so it's worth checking this is ok. In chromatic mode, the MIDI conversion is a bit more precise to reduce this problem, but it can still happen. In pitch-bend mode, if this happens a pitch-bend message will be sent very soon after the note is played to correct it back to the true note pitch. As long as your synth is responding correctly to pitch-bend messages you won't hear these wrong notes.

Some useful tips on getting the best from the i2M can be found here(the B2M pags also contains some useful info that is more bass-centric).

http://www.sonuus.com/products_i2m_mp_faq.html
http://www.sonuus.com/products_b2m_faq.html
pappeon

Post by pappeon »

thanks for the response. I'll try the suggestions and let you know how I fair.
prometh

Post by prometh »

Thank you for the suggestions.

I'm having issues with all notes. Vibrato works, but there are fluctuations before and after completing the technique.

The state of my guitar's intonation is unknown.

I have had my guitar customized with the tone knob removed and the pickup switch is on/off; so, there is no way to select only the neck position. If I were to place an EQ in front of the i2M, would it assist in proper tracking?

Signal Path: Instrument → Grace m101 → Axe-Fx II → Stewart World 1.2 → Atomic Reactor FRs
prometh

Post by prometh »

.... a response would be nice.

james
Site Admin

Post by james »

Can you send us a short WAV recording of something which demonstrates your problems? i.e., send the original guitar, not the MIDI. We can then look at this and may be able to have a better understanding for you.

You can PM files, or email to: support _at_ sonuus.com
prometh

Post by prometh »

My local guitar store wouldn't work on my guitar, so I had to do it all myself. Fernandes Sustainers are scary, apparently. For a guy who's not a pro technician, it was a pain to figure out, but I still got it going. It's nice having a tone knob again 8-)

The i2M now works like in the youtube videos and product descriptions. I did not need to correct the intonation. Simply turning the tone knob down and using the neck pickup did the trick. Thanks!!!

james
Site Admin

Post by james »

Great. Thanks for letting us know.