i2M won't appear as an audio device in logic express 8

The i2M musicport™ MIDI Converter & Hi-Z USB Audio Interface

Moderators: johnmc, james

ssrpxcgl

i2M won't appear as an audio device in logic express 8

Post by ssrpxcgl »

i2m will appear as an audio device in system preferences, and there is signal when I play my guitar, but I don't understand why it won't appear in logic. I got it to work with garageband but the signal was lousy as if there was a bad connection. On the other hand, midi works just fine, so I guess there's nothing wrong with the i2m itself? Although I don't quite get the whole aggregate device thing (which seems to be a solution for other users), I believe I have tried that out - without success. No aggregate device appears in logic.

If this has been covered in another post, I'm pretty sure I've checked them all, so it would be great if someone could then explain it in further detail.

Thanks in advance!
james
Site Admin

Re: i2M won't appear as an audio device in logic express 8

Post by james »

In Garage Band, can you describe exactly how it sounded "lousy"? Is it only when playing live it sounds bad? If you record audio then play it back does it sound the same? I ask this because sometimes there can be problems using one device as the input and another as the output, in this case restarting the application, or rebooting OSX can fix it.

With an Aggregate device, you may get better results if you set the i2M as the master device (then the clock is taken from the i2M not the output device).

I don't have Logic 8 Express here, but I guess it doesn't support input-only device. In which case you do need to setup an aggregate device. Once you set this up, you need to restart Logic before it will find it.

You said your aggregate device didn't show up in Logic... does it show up in GarageBand?
ssrpxcgl

Post by ssrpxcgl »

It sounded like there was interference when listening to recordings with my guitar through the i2M (almost like a low-pitched feedback not caused by input signal), but not when I was just monitoring the sound. My aggregate device showed up as something like "input1/input2 aggregate device" in garageband.

I don't quite understand what you mean by setting the i2M as the master device, but I do recall NOT being able to set the clock or something like that with my i2M. As I wrote before, I believe I managed to set up an aggregate device, and the only options available to me was setting the midi volume, changing from 44.1 khz to 48 khz and stuff like that (if I remember correctly). There was an area set of for audio options for the i2M, but they were greyed out.

When I think back on it I might have only closed the project, and not Logic itself. I'm not by my computer right now, but I'll try checking if the aggregate device shows up in logic later this evening. But maybe you can identify the problem from this answer. Anyways, I'll check Logic by the end of the day.

Thanks for the quick response!
ssrpxcgl

Post by ssrpxcgl »

only devices available in logic after a restart are "built-in input" and "built-in microphone".. any ideas as to what could be done?
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

Doing some googling suggests it should work with Logic 8 Express.

The steps for creating the aggregate device are here:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1215

Note that there is a "clock" option. This sets which device provides the master clock. You can set this to the i2M, or to the output device. You may get better results with one or the other. For optimal results when recording audio, ideally set the i2M as the clock.

I also found someone saying this, I don't know if that helps:
Make sure you set "Aggregate Device" as your Default Input. When you quit Audio/MIDI Setup, the Aggregate Device will be seen by Logic in the Preferences/Audio/Core Audio/Audio Input menu.
ssrpxcgl

Post by ssrpxcgl »

I get a sample rate mismatch error thingy when setting up the aggregate device (this time with instructions, not just me playing around), which makes enables me to push "configure speakers". From there I'm lost, because a window pops up and I can't really do anything there. It won't let me change anything, so all I can do is hit done, and go back to the aggregate device window with the samme error message. Any thoughts?

This might be worth mentioning - I'm working with Snow Loepard, not Leopard, so I googled the same instructions for 10.6
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

The i2M will work at 44.1kHz, or 48kHz. What sample rates does your output device support? Maybe both input and output need to be set to the same sample rate? The aggregate device will do sample-rate-conversion, but I don't know what limitations it has.

On your output device, can it's clock rate be changed or is it locked to an external clock (e.g., word clock)?
ssrpxcgl

Post by ssrpxcgl »

It works! I had to change to sample rate back to 44.1 khz. For some reason it was set to 48 khz.

Thanks for all the help!
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

Great :D
ssrpxcgl

Post by ssrpxcgl »

I'm having some trouble again, this time with my macbook (10.5.8. in case that's relevant). I've set up an aggregate device, and it even works in Garageband, but no aggregate device appears in Logic Express 8. I've done the whole restart Logic thing, even the computer after everything was set up.

Any thoughts?