No purpose of thread - Local issue within my pc environent

The i2M musicport™ MIDI Converter & Hi-Z USB Audio Interface

Moderators: johnmc, james

ChrisIhao

No purpose of thread - Local issue within my pc environent

Post by ChrisIhao »

Edit: The issue I had seems to be a local problem, as two separate i2M's have shown to work properly after being sent back to store. Beats me what the reason is, but I have to say that Sonuus and James have handled this issue in a very respectful and helpful manner, and even if its too bad I didnt get the i2M working I must say I am very happy with Sonuus. My G2M works like a charm, and when I get a B2M in a short while I will be covered ;) As a matter of fact, in hindsight I realize that the G2M and B2M may very well be the best way to go in my setup (I can now use the input volume knobs on my Focusrite Scarlett 8i6), even if the i2M has a wealth of options and possibilites I will miss. Cheers!

Kind regards,

Chris
Last edited by ChrisIhao on Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ChrisIhao

Re: Update: Need help James. Win7 64bits issue

Post by ChrisIhao »

Bump. James, please send me the in-house testing tools for Win7 64-bit via pm. I have to return the previous i2M (or both, depending) so time is of the essence :)

Regards,

Chris
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

Is the i2M appearing as a MIDI device? Does it work with Midi-OX (www.midiox.com).

Similarly, does the audio device work with standard windows applications (e.g., the Sound Recorder app installed with Windows)?

Do you think the problem is the i2M's ASIO driver?
ChrisIhao

Post by ChrisIhao »

james wrote:Is the i2M appearing as a MIDI device? Does it work with Midi-OX (http://www.midiox.com).
Yes. It does appear as a MIDI device, and an audio device as well. In fact I can play midi notes with the "latency tester", but in that way only. Similarly I can play back audio in ASIO mode if I route it through my everyday audio card (Focusrite Scarlett 8i6).
james wrote:Similarly, does the audio device work with standard windows applications (e.g., the Sound Recorder app installed with Windows)?
No. The problem seems to be connected to the ability to receive input in general. In other words I cant get anything to register if I plug it into the i2M. Not even a small blip on any input level monitoring, tried out in several apps.
james wrote:Do you think the problem is the i2M's ASIO driver?
To be honest, I dont think so. If so, the midi tracking should work due to tones being received no matter if the ASIO is running or not. Since the midi tracking also do not work, the midi latency tester works, and that the ASIO driver fails to record, I believe that there must be another explanation. I dont know how the i2M works, but if there are drivers that are required to be loaded properly for the audio input itself to be registered onto the i2M I see no other alternative. What I find so strange is that the clipping indicator does not even shine red or orange, which seems to be common out from other posts I've read here.

To be clear on this:

- I have tried two seperate computers, both with Win7 64 bit running, same problem.
- Tried several jack cables and instruments, not even a blip coming in through asio or wdm.
- Midi latency tests in i2M control panel works. It steadily plays a tone when the red/orange light blinks.
- Tried several apps and daws. Same result.
- Tested for hours a week ago. Got a replacement as I was sure this is an hardware failure, but the same happens with the replacement.
- Have tried several firmware versions
- In conclusion it seems like the problem could be related to failed install of drivers, even if such an error is not reported, if at all possible.
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

Ok, I think I understand your problem now.

It sounds like there is a hardware problem, though I agree it's rather unlikely for this to happen on two units one after the other! And we've not seen it before.

If you record some audio via the i2M, what do you get? Is it pure silence (all "zeros"), or low-level noise? Or can it not record anything at all (i.e., the recording fails)? If the audio drivers are working correctly you should get something being recorded. If the jack lead isn't plugged in the i2M will output pure silence when it's recorded. In Windows this typically has some dither noise added by the OS, if you use our ASIO driver it bypasses the Windows mixer and you get pure silence (all zeros). When you connect the jack lead it should then record the real signal. I am wondering if there is a bad connection that either means it can't detect that the jack is inserted, or that the signal isn't getting to the preamplifier.

Do you notice any difference in the recorded signal when you have a guitar plugged in, or not plugged in?
ChrisIhao

Post by ChrisIhao »

Hi James. I get zeros only (not a small noisefloor or anything in the waveform).

Edit: Even tried the last i2M on a third pc. Same result when testing input. :(
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

It sounds like the unit is defective. This will have been tested in the factory prior to shipping, but it can sometimes happen that there is a bad solder connection that works only sometimes.

Is it easy for you to arrange an exchange with your retailer (again!)?
ChrisIhao

Post by ChrisIhao »

james wrote:It sounds like the unit is defective. This will have been tested in the factory prior to shipping, but it can sometimes happen that there is a bad solder connection that works only sometimes.

Is it easy for you to arrange an exchange with your retailer (again!)?
Hi James.I asked for a g2M instead of a i2M, as perhaps that one is a bit more robust as is. Fortunately the reseller I ordered from is very customer friendly (http://www.godlyd.no/) and it was possible for me to return both i2M's then get a refund for the rest of the purchase sum when compared to the g2M.

This is very unfortunate though as I would have preferred the i2M due to owning both a bass and guitar, and although I dont want to be rude I must say that the potential quality issues are of some concern (if you're on the road for instance you will need something that holds up and not lose a solder point).

Anyhow, thanks for your support James. Wish things would have been different.
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

Thanks for the update, and I'm glad you are at least reasonably happy. It's good to know you have a good retailer!

We have had very few failed units, and when we get these back from retailers we investigate the problems to make sure it doesn't happen again. Do you know the serial number of the unit(s) you had?
ChrisIhao

Post by ChrisIhao »

james wrote:Thanks for the update, and I'm glad you are at least reasonably happy. It's good to know you have a good retailer!

We have had very few failed units, and when we get these back from retailers we investigate the problems to make sure it doesn't happen again. Do you know the serial number of the unit(s) you had?
I can write them up in a PM to you when I get home from work. I think I registered one of them in my sonuus account, if you can check that (and delete it afterwards if you could).

I still sort of cant rule out that this may be some local problem with my (three) tested setups, but it sure would be strange if I were not able to get one blip out of the audio section, so I just unwillingly have to let the i2M's go for now. g2M already on the way according to the reseller.