Distorced sound even with very low volume...

The i2M musicport™ MIDI Converter & Hi-Z USB Audio Interface

Moderators: johnmc, james

lvss

Distorced sound even with very low volume...

Post by lvss »

Hi, I really loved i2m. I use it as audio input. For audio output I use the soundcard of my laptop and sometimes my external audiocard (M-audio Firewire 410). With both output sources, the sound is distorced,like a saturated sound. I've already decrease the preamp of I2M (now it is at minimum level) and my volume guitar is very low too... When I try the audio input with Firewire 410 the sound is perfect... What can I do to achieve the same sound quality ? Thanks and congrats for this great hardware.
james
Site Admin

Re: Distorced sound even with very low volume...

Post by james »

How are you using the i2M as an output? ASIO on Windows, or OSX?

If you record the i2M directly is the sound distorted? i.e., is it only the playback that's the problem, not the recorded audio itself?
lvss

Post by lvss »

Thanks James.
I use Asio on Windows (7 pro 64bits - but I installed 32bits driver- the newest)
I didn't try to record the sound, I only use the plugins (AT3 - guitar Rig - Pod Farm...) to add effects to my guitar. How do I use I plug my guitar -> I2M -> laptop (Core 2 duo 2.56 with 8gb ram) -> Plugin -> output linked with main audio card or my external audio card (M-audio Firewire 410). Both I connect to my PA -> Speakers. No matter if I use my laptop soundcard connected to my PA or my Firewire 410 connected to my PA, the sound is distorced....tks
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

In the i2M ASIO driver control panel, is the "Input Monitor Level" slider set to the minimum level (i.e., at the bottom)? If not, this could be adding to your output signal and causing it to clip.

Is the clip indicator on the i2M showing (the logo LED goes red when it clips)?

Please try to record something directly from the i2M to confirm that the input isn't distorted from the i2M.