"Beep" When Changing Patches

The i2M musicport™ MIDI Converter & Hi-Z USB Audio Interface

Moderators: johnmc, james

panthalassa

"Beep" When Changing Patches

Post by panthalassa »

Hello,

I have POD Farm 2.5 (latest version) running on my 15" MacBook Pro 2.2 GHz w/ 4 gigs of RAM and Snow Leopard (10.6.8). I'm using the Sonuus i2M (also the latest firmware version) as an interface, I correctly created an Aggregate Device using the MacBook Pro's built-in output, and am hearing a loud "beep" when changing patches in standalone mode. I've searched the Line 6 forum and this forum for a similar problem from someone else and haven't found anything.

However, I did notice one thing: when I used my other audio interfaces - Mbox 2 Pro and original Mbox(!), plus the Apogee Duet - there was the no noise when changing patches. For the record, I have disabled MIDI output on the i2M. Also for the record, when using the aforementioned interfaces in the form of an Aggregate Device I cannot replicate the noise. Bottom line: It only happens with the i2M. Any ideas as to how to fix this? Thank you.
james
Site Admin

Re: "Beep" When Changing Patches

Post by james »

For the aggregate device, which device are you using as the clock master? We've found that it generally works best when the i2M is the clock master, but it's worth experimenting to see which works best.

Changing patches: you mean, just changing the patch on Pod Farm? Maybe it's closing and re-opening the device when it does this, I don't have it here, so can't confirm this.
panthalassa

Post by panthalassa »

Okay, it's worked fine when I opened AMS, then when I closed and reopened PF it was back to beep city.

In the Audio MIDI Setup, it does not appear to make a difference as to which is the clock master - i2M or Built-In-Output. However, I unchecked "resample" in the i2M dialog when I first opened AMS and that appeared to solve the problem temporarily.

I still don't trust this device for live performance - other than strictly as a MIDI controller - but until this is fixed for good I'll use another i/o device for audio.
Thanks for your input.
panthalassa

Post by panthalassa »

Latest update:

So I found out that it is POD Farm Standalone that is the real culprit here. That horrible noise comes from using an aggregate device in standalone mode and is a known issue. In other programs like Ableton Live 8, Pro Tools, and Logic Pro 8 there's no noise. Yeah, I did my homework...

I should have known that certain software devs build these things with little peculiarities - like not playing nice with aggregate devices, and so forth.

I should also mention that I do indeed continue to gig with the i2M, and is is awesome for MIDI. Computer audio on the gig is definitely doable, but for me personally it's MIDI-only on the i2M until the machines it goes through have latency in the tenths of milliseconds. Right now in Reason I can go down to a buffer size of 64, which is pretty good, but it doesn't cut it for live work.

Still, great product! I also use the i2M in my teaching studio because it fits in my laptop bag so easily.
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

I'm glad you have got it working better now.

Because the i2M uses standard Audio drivers, we can't do anything about how it works with other software other than make a good job of the low-level audio.

Regarding latency, with Full Speed USB devices (which the i2M is), the minimum latency is essentially 1ms (48 samples @ 48kHz) because this is the buffer size dictated by the USB standard. But with an aggregate device there always will be a bit more than this because of the required resampling.