Re: Editor Chords Transpose

The i2M musicport™ MIDI Converter & Hi-Z USB Audio Interface

Moderators: johnmc, james

utensil

Post by utensil »

Hi

Just had a comment/suggestion, The editor has a chromatic transpose feature where I can transpose a certain number of steps within a key, this is great and really useful but the only part missing is the ability to switch keys.

One implementation I've found can work by using notes below a threshold as the key selection for each zone, so say I play anything (example E1) from C1 to C2 with C2 being the threshold, this would just cause a key change from the current key to the equivalent mode/scale (in this example to the key of E)

Example if the proposed zone threshold setting is enabled and is C2 and I've set the zone config to chromatic and scale is enabled and selected as Eminor. Then the following could be the implementation:

1) Switching to the mode with this zone via the I2m switch selector will start the the zone in the key specified i.e Eminor.
2) playing a D1 note will change the key in this zone to Dminor.
3) Playing a B1 note will change the key in this zone to Bminor.
4) Playing C2 note will note cause a key change but will be treated as normal by the zone (this is the threshold and only notes below will cause a key switch).

I'm not sure if this is workable but I used to have a software harmonizer which would do something like this. I'm sure you guys can make it even more flexible but it's just an idea.

The reason it would be awesome if implemented directly in the editor/firmware is because it would work with the ipad etc.

If you are interested to know the name of the software I can try and find it and let you know as it basically harmonized chords out of 1 note.

hope this may be a useful feature suggestion

utensil
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

Thanks for your suggestion. I really like this idea, and we'll have a think about some good ways of incorporating this into the firmware.