i2M disappointment

The i2M musicport™ MIDI Converter & Hi-Z USB Audio Interface

Moderators: johnmc, james

Jimmy5050

i2M disappointment

Post by Jimmy5050 »

Hi, I have just received my newly purchased i2M musicport. I've set it all up correctly and just wanted to air how disappointed I am with the product. I have a brand new ibanez guitar with brand new dimarzio pickups, a dual quad core mac pro running logic pro 9 in a professional recording studio. I have found that some notes I play on the guitar play an octave higher or lower, play double notes or don't play a note at all. There seems to be no real control over this product. If I want to play a bassline with for example Native Instruments Massive, it just sounds so random which notes are played the product is unusable. I have been playing guitar for 13 years and am a more than competent player. I am comparing this product with my MIDI keyboard and there is just no comparison in playability or notes accuracy. If there seems to be a setup up issue that I have overlooked any help would be greatly appreciated before I return this product on Monday morning.

Regards
james
Site Admin

Re: i2M disappointment

Post by james »

It's possible there is a problem with your i2M, but more likely you just need to get used to how MIDI conversion works. Of course, playing a keyboard is more precise than playing guitar (one is a simple switch, the other is a complex analogue instrument).

I suggest you check out the following FAQ to help you understand why what you are seeing is happening. Most people can fix these problems in a few hours by understanding what's going on: http://www.sonuus.com/products_i2m_mp_faq.html
johnmc
Site Admin

Re: i2M disappointment

Post by johnmc »

Hi,

Can you send an example recording/MIDI file of where you see problems and we can advise?

I use the i2m regularly and am confident in the way it tracks, but you do need to be aware of several things in order to get the best response and it does require some adjustment to playing technique also.

Some of these things are in the tips and tricks as James mentioned but here's my input:

It is best to use the neck pickup if possible
Octave jumps can be caused by pick action being too hard, similarly this can cause double-triggers.
The input level is important. If the input is clipping a lot, which can happen with high-output pickups, then this can cause problems with mis-detection.
Tuning is also important - the guitar needs to be accurately tuned.
If multiple notes are sounding, this can cause the unit to become confused - you may not always be aware another string is vibrating at low volume when you play a note. The best way to avoid this is to damp strings that aren't being played, and I also tend to try to damp the string I've just played between notes when playing a run.
If you're using the i2m with pitch-bend enabled (which should be the default mode for guitar), then set the keyboard patch you're playing to +/-2 semitones bend range.

Feel free to contact us if we can be of further assistance. It's important to us that customers are satisfied with the purchase.

John.