Can you do this?

See what i2M musicport™ reviews have been written by magazines, blogs and end-users.

Moderators: johnmc, james

mrtomm

Can you do this?

Post by mrtomm »

Want to connect my guitar to an mic-pre with and Inst. input.
Since I will be recording audio at 24 bit ? sample rate, and coming out of the D/A, then plugging into the i2M.
Would coming out of the D/A at -10 into the i2M, or going out from a reamp into the i2m.
That way I can record audio at 24 bit and just use the i2M to record MIDI.

Which is the "elegant" way to get this working, and will it work?

Thanks,
Tom
james
Site Admin

Re: Can you do this?

Post by james »

It's best for the raw guitar signal (not through any effects) to go to the i2M. There are two ways to do this.

(1) A "Y-cable" can split the signal of the guitar in to. One feed going to the i2M, the other to the Inst. Input of your mic-pre. Normally, doing this would affect the quality of the recorded sound, but the i2M has a very Hi-Z input (10Mohm) so it won't affect your signal.

(2) Take the output from the D/A into the i2M as you suggest. -10dBV should be fine. You may need to adjust the input gain on the i2M to minimum to avoid clipping.

You can then use the i2M only for MIDI.
mrtomm

Post by mrtomm »

james wrote:It's best for the raw guitar signal (not through any effects) to go to the i2M. There are two ways to do this.

(1) A "Y-cable" can split the signal of the guitar in to. One feed going to the i2M, the other to the Inst. Input of your mic-pre. Normally, doing this would affect the quality of the recorded sound, but the i2M has a very Hi-Z input (10Mohm) so it won't affect your signal.

(2) Take the output from the D/A into the i2M as you suggest. -10dBV should be fine. You may need to adjust the input gain on the i2M to minimum to avoid clipping.

You can then use the i2M only for MIDI.
Thanks james,
I think #2 will work for me.
It seems I can't use the asio drive anyway,because I can't use my AD/DA.
My Daw won't use both devices at the same time.
So I have to go into my AD first if I want to record audio.
No biggie.

I hope you guys aren't coming out with a poly device at NAMM? Gues I'll find out in a bit.
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

You should be able to use both devices by using the i2M ASIO driver. We designed this to get around this well-known limitation of ASIO: one device per host.

In the i2M ASIO panel, select "Use Chained Output" and then select your other ASIO device as the output. When the i2M is chosen as the output in your DAW it will route the audio out of your other ASIO device instead.

However, you will get better audio quality and lower latency if you don't do this and use the ASIO device directly as you describe because this "chaining" requires sample-rate-conversion to be done to the audio, which adds latency and will slightly change the audio passing through it too. You should be able to try both methods and see which is best for you.
mrtomm

Post by mrtomm »

Thanks James.

Are there any "presets" users have tweaked that can be D/L'ed?
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

Are there any "presets" users have tweaked that can be D/L'ed?
No, not yet. But we'd love people to send us some so we can put them up for download.