i2s with iPhone

See what i2M musicport™ reviews have been written by magazines, blogs and end-users.

Moderators: johnmc, james

raydog

i2s with iPhone

Post by raydog »

I'm new here and excited about finding sonuus pitch to midi :o but I can't seem to find some answers in their sales media. If anyone knows the answer to any of these questions it would be most helpful. Thanks.
• I want stand alone portable pitch to midi capabilities using the iPhone as a virtual module.
• I can't seem to find out if the i2m will operate without an app on a laptop. I know the editor needs to be run from a mac/pc but are the parameters retained in the device and will it stand alone with an iPhone via the Apple camera connection kit USB interface?

• will there be an iOS5 software for i2m?
• Is it battery powered or USB powered?
I have already had confirmation that the camera connection kit works with the ios5 built in midi drivers. Instead of the i2m, I know i could use the g2m with an irig midi interface on the iPhone, but from what I understand the i2m is faster and more accurate. I do have a laptop to run the editor but was hoping I could do double duty and use the i2m live with the same attributes as the g2m.
• Does the i2m have a chromatic on/off switch as well?
• Is the g2m VERSION 2 as fast and as accurate as the i2m?

james
Site Admin

Re: i2M with iPhone

Post by james »

• I want stand alone portable pitch to midi capabilities using the iPhone as a virtual module.
The i2M doesn't currently work with the iPhone only because the iPhone doesn't support standard USB devices in the same way that the iPad does using the Camera Connection Kit. Whether this will/or won't work in the future is up to Apple.
• I can't seem to find out if the i2m will operate without an app on a laptop. I know the editor needs to be run from a mac/pc but are the parameters retained in the device and will it stand alone with an iPhone via the Apple camera connection kit USB interface?
No app is required to use the i2M. It works as an audio to MIDI converter (and also an audio input device too). It uses standard USB MIDI/Audio protocols, so most devices support this directly wtihout extra software: iPad, OSX, Windows, Linux.

However, a Windows PC, or Mac is required to use the i2M Editor app which lets you configure settings. The i2M stores 4 presets which you can switch between. The editor lets you tweak those presets, but the editor isn't required to use the presets once you have set them up.
• will there be an iOS5 software for i2m?
Not yet. Last time we looked, iOS didn't support the USB protocols required to interface with the i2M in "editor" mode.
• Is it battery powered or USB powered?
It is USB powered, and can be powered from most devices including the iPad.
• Does the i2m have a chromatic on/off switch as well?
Yes, this is done by the presets. Out of the box, the i2M comes with 4 presets: guitar, guitar(chromatic), bass, bass(chromatic).
• Is the g2m VERSION 2 as fast and as accurate as the i2m?
Yes, it's virtually identical to the i2M in guitar mode.
raydog

Re: i2s with iPhone

Post by raydog »

<• will there be an iOS5 software for i2m?

Not yet. Last time we looked, iOS didn't support the USB protocols required to interface with the i2M in "editor" mode.>

Does that mean i can run the editor on my mackbook air and play i2m on the iphone as long as i dont want to use the editor on iphone?

Thanks for the info as I try to decide which to get, raydog
james
Site Admin

Re: i2s with iPhone

Post by james »

Yes, except I don't think the iPhone currently supports standard MIDI devices, only the iPad. It's best to check with Apple, or other online iPhone resources to check if the iPhone can now support USB-MIDI devices or not. These things change quickly and it's hard to keep-up. It works with the iPad though.