using a noise gate to prevent unwanted notes

All general pitch-to-MIDI thoughts, suggestions, complaints, etc.

Moderators: johnmc, james

JonnyMee

using a noise gate to prevent unwanted notes

Post by JonnyMee »

Hi, just bought the i"m and am trying to get used to adjusting my style for it to work well. i'm using it with bass and getting quite a few notes played that i don't want. has anyone tried running their bass/guitar through a noise gate to prevent quiet signals from being sent to the i2m? any advice appreciated, Jon.
james
Site Admin

Re: using a noise gate to prevent unwanted notes

Post by james »

With the latest i2M firmware and editor, there is a "velocity" filter that works a bit like a noise gate. This will block low-level notes below the selected MIDI velocity so they don't get played. Have you tried that?
JonnyMee

Post by JonnyMee »

I have tried it (not extensively, i'm guessing it takes a while to get used to how you have to play with the i2m) but it doesn't have the same amount of control that you have with a dedicated noise gate like release time etc. my problem is i can sit at home with my heaphones on and play with restraint, but once i get into the rehearsal room with a full band, a big PA etc I can't help hitting the strings a bit harder
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

Indeed, it's not a true noise gate. It's intended to try and remove what are most likely unintentional notes. Particularly when using the i2M for notation the unintentional "glitch" notes are usually low level (so low velocity) and of short duration so this can help to remove those.
JonnyMee

Post by JonnyMee »

I've tried the editor but not the firmware. will try that. what's the latency/tracking like on the B2M? , as now i can plug via midi into a hardware sampler for live playing. i have a behringer bass-vamp that has midi out but not tried it yet as the sampler isn't at my house, would be interesting to know if anyone has tried both and had opinions on them.