i2m musicport lmms compatibility

The i2M musicport™ MIDI Converter & Hi-Z USB Audio Interface

Moderators: johnmc, james

MitchellWMH

i2m musicport lmms compatibility

Post by MitchellWMH »

Hello! I have searched all over but I couldn't find anything so I figured it might be a good idea to ask this question. Is the i2m (using an electric guitar) compatable with LMMS (Linux Multi Media Studio)? By this I mean the Windows version. It seems like it should be because of the MIDI input and output option for the instruments on LMMS. However I have not seen where anyone has done this before. I think I am very close to buying the i2m but it would kinda suck if I had to pay a bunch of extra money for some software that would work with it.

Thanks
Mitchell
james
Site Admin

Re: i2m musicport lmms compatibility

Post by james »

I installed LMMS to check it worked with the i2M, and it does.

MIDI seems to work fine, though I couldn't work out how to use LMMS in the time available, so I couldn't do much experimentation. The audio latency was quite large too, but I suspect that's just because I didn't spent time trying to optimise the settings.

I didn't try audio, but it should work. The problem with LMMS is that it doesn't support ASIO devices, so it you use the i2M's audio input, you won't have any audio output. On the PC, we allow the i2M to use another audio device as the output device via an ASIO driver. On OSX the OS (or indeed programs like Garage Band) can handle multiple devices for you.
MitchellWMH

Re: i2m musicport lmms compatibility

Post by MitchellWMH »

OK that is good to know. Thank you so much for such a quick response. At the very least I can try all this stuff out first before getting some of the more advanced programs.

Mitchell