i2m musicport with hi output level pickups

The i2M musicport™ MIDI Converter & Hi-Z USB Audio Interface

Moderators: johnmc, james

ravo888

i2m musicport with hi output level pickups

Post by ravo888 »

Hello Team and everybody,

First of all I would like to apologize for my English, so, if something I wrote will not be really correct, please excuse.
My question is :
I currently use the i2m with the guitar having Joe Barden pickups, which are quite hi output level ones, so, I have difficulties when playing into i2m on my usual max guitar volume level. Even with the i2m pre-amp gain set ot -12dB, the note played starts to "double" by adding to the original correct note the one semitone higher, rarely octave lower. The problem disappears if I turn the guitar volume down to some acceptable for the task level. But, if I do that, the "sensitivity" of the transmission also goes down - the notes i2m generates becomes significantly lower in volume.
So, what is the general advise for that :
- what to do with the guitar hi output level - to put in signal chain to i2m some device to reduce the volume ? or any other advice ?
- how to set, in my case - to increase, the "sensitivity" of the device, to let it generate the same dynamic range with the lower input level ?

Regards,
Volodymyr.
james
Site Admin

Re: i2m musicport with hi output level pickups

Post by james »

Keep the i2M pre-amp set to -12dB -- you are correct, it won't handle very high output without clipping so you need to turn down as you suggest.

The MIDI velocity levels will auto-adjust based on what you play. If you start playing at a high level (so it clips) then turn down, it will (as you found) give lower MIDI velocity.

There are two ways to fix this:

(1) After playing many notes, the velocity level will auto-adjust to eventually get what you want.

(2) Disconnect the guitar lead from the i2M, then connect it again. This will cause it to reset it's internal levels and you should then get what you want.