Brand new Non Functioning Pedal

For the Wahoo™ Dual-Analogue, Digitally-Controlled Wah/Filter Pedal

Moderators: johnmc, james

mabotofu

Brand new Non Functioning Pedal

Post by mabotofu »

Hi there,
I've just received the Wahoo: I was really exited until I tried to rock the pedal and discover that my unit has a foulty one.
All filters, buttons and knobs works fine, but the actual pedal is dead.
I've tried firmware update and pedal recalibration, but nothing.. actually I've noticed in the calibration that the value on the display was 959 (down)-600 (up). like if the value of the full range is set to 1 step :idea: :?:
Not a nice day for me.. :evil:
Before I contact them, does anyone experienced the same problem and maybe... have a quick fix for it?
Am'I doing something wrong??
Thanks everybody.
Last edited by mabotofu on Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
james
Site Admin

Re: Brand new Non Functioning Pedal

Post by james »

Sorry to hear about this. Don't worry, we'll swap it with a working unit if it can't be fixed any other way.

So, everything is working correctly, except the pedal isn't functioning... you can use envelope filters, etc without problems?

How were you powering the Wahoo? We have seen a strange problem that seems to be related to USB power and the USB suspend function, where the pedal stops working, but we've not been able to reproduce this, and it recovers once the unit has been restarted (it needs a few minutes of no power to ensure everything inside powers down fully).

If you are not using USB power, then this can't be the problem.

In pedal calibration mode (hold FILTER 1/2 + MODE knob for 4 seconds), what numbers do you get in the heel-down and toe-down positions? Was that the numbers you mentioned: 959 (toe-down), 600 (heel down) ?
mabotofu

Post by mabotofu »

[quote="james"]Sorry to hear about this. Don't worry, we'll swap it with a working unit if it can't be fixed any other way.

So, everything is working correctly, except the pedal isn't functioning... you can use envelope filters, etc without problems?

Yes I can use envelope filters, etc without problemI and it sounds lovely!

Yes I've used USB, but also tried with batteries (after disconnecting USB). I've turn it on and off few times, but no luck, I'll try again tonigth[/color]

Yes, those are the correct numbers on the calibration page.

Please let me know on how to proceed in order to have the unit replaced. :|
I'll contact you via Mail.

Thanks,
L.
zranen

Post by zranen »

Hey,

I'm having the same problem. Just picked it up today, updated the firmware and the pedal isn't working. Everything else seems fine, but the pedal isn't controlling anything.
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

Sorry to hear that. Have you done the "pedal test" by performing a pedal calibration to check the numbers you are getting. This will confirm the problem is the pedal and not something else.

Where did you buy it from (us or Peterson)? If it's faulty, you can return and get a replacement.

For your info: we have found that some units have a faulty connector that connects the sensor on the pedal to the rest of the circuit. During QC testing it was fine, but after shipping it became loose (or intermittent) and caused the pedal to stop working. This component will be changed in the future to avoid this problem. Meanwhile, we will repair any that develop the problem.
zranen

Post by zranen »

Hi James,

I did a recalibration along with a few others methods, using various power sources and a factory reset. The calibration showed the unit recognizing the pedal, in that it had the values of 915 toe down and 933 for toe up. At times the pedal would also erratically shift down into the 400 range when in the toe down position. Nevertheless the unit still did not recognize the shifting of the foot control while in operating mode.

I bought the unit at Long and Mcquade located in Toronto Canada. They list it as a Peterson. I'm replacing the unit tomorrow. Fingers crossed that this one is okay.

Also I've noticed that the unit sounds like something has come loose inside.
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

Thanks for the update. It sounds like its the same problem: the cable has come loose.
Atomicunderware

Post by Atomicunderware »

Received mine yesterday, and due to festivities I have only just now tried it out - I seem to have the same problem. The pedal does nothing. I haven't yet tried anything recommended in this thread, but it looks like it's the same issue. What next? After waiting so long this is really frustrating.
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

I agree, it is frustrating. This is not how we want our customers to have a first experience with the Wahoo.

Does everything else work correctly? If it's the same problem (a bad cable), everything else should work fine, so you can still use touch wah, LFOs, envelope filters, pitch-filter etc. So you can experiment and play with it for a bit. You might even be able to get the pedal working temporarily by giving the Wahoo a shake (you won't damage anything inside doing this).

Then you'll need to arrange to return it for a replacement. Did you get it from us (Sonuus in the UK), or Peterson (in the USA)?
Atomicunderware

Post by Atomicunderware »

As far as I can tell, aside from the expression pedal it's working as it should. I bought it direct from Sonuus.