i2M ASIO Driver and Cubase

Dedicated forum for feedback and support on the ASIO driver for the i2M musicport™ MIDI Converter & Hi-Z USB Audio Interface.

Moderators: johnmc, james

pbourelly

i2M ASIO Driver and Cubase

Post by pbourelly »

Hi,

I am using Cubase AI6 with Steinberg CI+.

I have installed the lastest Yamaha Steinberg ASIO Driver and latest i2M Musicport ASIO Driver as of July 2015.

This is what I do:

If I use Yahama Steinmberg ASIO Driver it seems all working, expect the latency is 5+ instead of 2+ of i2M. The input works as midi and the output is fine.

If I use i2M Musicport ASIO Driver as input and Yamaha Steinberg ASIO Driver or Realtek (from my Acer laptop) as output, I get the SONUUS working as analog, The system does not record anything and the output is just a lot of noice when I have another midi track, e.g with a midi drum recorded.

I would like to do this:
1. Use i2M Musicport as midi or analog
2. Listen the output correctly

Thanks

Paolo Bourelly
james
Site Admin

Re: i2M ASIO Driver and Cubase

Post by james »

I am not sure what the solution is.

Maybe you can post a screenshot of the i2M ASIO driver so I can see it's configuration? Also can you post a screenshot of the ASIO/Audio setup in Cubase?
pbourelly

Post by pbourelly »

Here come the screenshots.
Attachments
screenshot1.jpg
screenshot1.jpg (92.68 KiB) Viewed 25952 times
pbourelly

Post by pbourelly »

screen 2
screenshot2.jpg
screenshot2.jpg (99.86 KiB) Viewed 25952 times
screenshot2.jpg
screenshot2.jpg (99.86 KiB) Viewed 25952 times
Attachments
screenshot5.jpg
screenshot5.jpg (199.11 KiB) Viewed 25952 times
screenshot4.jpg
screenshot4.jpg (245.24 KiB) Viewed 25952 times
screenshot3.jpg
screenshot3.jpg (83.61 KiB) Viewed 25952 times
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

One I have noticed:

On the i2M ASIO control panel, "Input Monitor Level" is set to maximum. This means audio from your instrument (via the i2M) will be sent directly to the ASIO output so you can hear it. The audio will also be sent to Cubase, but I suspect the problem is that it is not getting to a track to be recorded.

If you set "Input Monitor Level" to minimum, you won't hear the direct signal from the i2M, and only hear what is coming from Cubase. This will make it easier for you to check if the track you are using is armed and able to record the audio. When everything is configured correctly, you should hear the audio coming from Cubase.

Is the i2M also set as a MIDI input?

If you get noise, it could be because the buffer sizes are too small and the hardware can't keep up. Try making these larger to see if it works. Once it's working, you can start to reduce the buffer size again to reduce the latency.
pbourelly

Post by pbourelly »

James,

I can hear now the analog sound of the bass and at the same time the midi sound which is just a noise.

With steinberng ASIO it works anyhow. So it must be the i2m ASIO driver which does not work properly.

I have another issue. When I play notes, some of them would sound an octave lower, if I play C3 it sounds C2. How can I make sure that the note is correct?
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

I'm not sure how the analogue bass sound can be ok, but the MIDI is not -- they are mixed as audio in Cubase and sent at the same time to the ASIO output. But anyway, if it is working with the steinberg ASIO, that is good. Another alternative to try is ASIO4All (http://www.asio4all.com/) It will combine the i2M and another output like the i2M driver does, but it does it slightly differently so sometimes the i2M driver is better, sometimes ASIO4All.

Regarding the notes. First, it may be playing technique. If two strings vibrate at the same time it can cause this. Please see the video at the end of this page. It shows guitar, but the same applies to bass:

http://www.sonuus.com/products_i2m_mp_f ... enu_anchor

Have you installed the latest firmware for the i2M?
pbourelly

Post by pbourelly »

Yes I have installed the latest firmware.

About the note, that happens if I pick the note no so strong. If I play harder then it does not.
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

Is the output level of your bass low? If you increase the gain of the preamp of the i2M, does it help?

It might be related to signal level, or it might just be that the harmonic content of the note changes significantly depending on how hard you play.
felipevarasm

Post by felipevarasm »

pbourelly, have you solved your problem? i got tha same problem. I noticed that your cubase language is in spanish. En caso de alguna solución, por favor hazme saber. Tengo este aparato nuevo y no puedo grabar audio. Midi funciona, pero no audio, y así no me sirve.

Thanks a lot.