G2M always selects piano patch

The G2M™ Universal Guitar to MIDI Converter.

Moderators: johnmc, james

seancarter

G2M always selects piano patch

Post by seancarter »

I have connected up my guitar via the G2M to my Roland EXR 46 keyboard. It plays fine, but whatever patch I select on the keyboard, what I get from the G2M is piano.
Anyone know why this might be?

Thanks
Sean
james
Site Admin

Re: G2M always selects piano patch

Post by james »

The G2M transmits on MIDI Channel 1. Could you be changing the voice on another channel and that's why you don't hear any difference?
jcook12

Post by jcook12 »

I am not familiar with the Roland EXR 46. However, on my Yamaha changing the voice for the keyboard does not affect what voice is played in response to incoming MIDI signals. (For example, on the Yamaha, I can have an incoming MIDI signal playing one voice (or more) on the Yamaha, while the Yamaha keyboard is sending a different voice (or more) out to another MIDI device. Ah... the wonders of MIDI.)

The G2M is (probably) not sending any MIDI control messages except those related to notes and duration. Therefore, you are getting the default voice. If you can change the default voice, that might be one way to play something other than a piano voice. What I have successfully done is use my computer (with some kind of MIDI software) to send some music on MIDI channel 1 in the voice I want to the keyboard. Then I unplug the MIDI IN cable from the keyboard and plug in the G2M. This worked in my case.

You might be able to do something similar with another MIDI device as input to the keyboard. If the other device (or your computer) has MIDI THRU capability, you MIGHT be able to avoid plugging and unplugging. - Check the web.
seancarter

Post by seancarter »

Mmm, I don't seem to be able to change the channel on the keyboard :-(
BertAnt

Post by BertAnt »

Check the manual :)
MarkFromHawaii

Post by MarkFromHawaii »

Interesting - I have the same problem with my Yamaha MM6 but have found a workaround. Not very elegant but it works.