Voluum question

For the Voluum™ Digitally-Controlled Analogue Volume Effects Pedal

Moderators: johnmc, james

james
Site Admin

Re: Voluum question

Post by james »

A quick update...

Two LFOs have now been implemented in the Voluum, and it's pretty cool. For example, you can modulate the depth of the LFOs, and each LFO can have a different depth. So you can smoothly go from two LFOs running (maybe one with twice the frequency of the other to give a more interesting waveform shape), to only one LFO (the second LFO depth goes to 0, so it doesn't do anything).
Flop54

Post by Flop54 »

It is a really good news!! I can't wait to try the voluum!!!
Flop54

Post by Flop54 »

Hello it's me again with my bad english and my crazy ideas! :)

So I want know to day if the Kenton midi USB host could be used to sync the wahoo and the volume with a midi clock from computer or other?
Have you try this configuration and what about the power? The Kenton can power the two units or not?

Thank you!
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

You should be able to do the following:

Connect computer via USB to the Voluum. MIDI clock received via USB will also be sent out of the 5-pin MIDI out, so

Connect Voluum MIDI Out to Kenton MIDI In (the Kenton is connected to the Wahoo USB).

Now, MIDI clock sent to the Voluum will also be sent to the Wahoo.

If, instead, MIDI clock was coming from a 5-pin MIDI device, you could do the following (but we'd need to add an option to the Voluum to allow this, which we can do):

Connect MIDI timing master to Voluum MIDI-In, Connect Kenton to Voluum MIDI-Out, and connect Kenton to Wahoo USB as before. Now MIDI timing will be echoed from the Voluum MIDI-In to MIDI-Out (i.e., a Thru).

You'd need to power the Voluum separately -- batteries or 9V supply.
Flop54

Post by Flop54 »

Ok. I would do the computer or others connect to the midi in via the 5 pin connecteur. The voluum link to the Kenton midi out 5 pin... And the wahoo link to the Kenton via USB.
This configuration doesn't work?

It's a pity that it's impossible to connect the voluum and the wahoo by USB..
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

Ok. I would do the computer or others connect to the midi in via the 5 pin connecteur. The voluum link to the Kenton midi out 5 pin... And the wahoo link to the Kenton via USB.
This configuration doesn't work?
I don't think the Kenton will send what it receives on the MIDI-In to its MIDI-Out. This would be a "through" connection, and by default MIDI In and Out are treated as separate connections on most devices, unless there is a software "through" more (which we can add to the Voluum).
It's a pity that it's impossible to connect the voluum and the wahoo by USB..
Yes, you can connect both Voluum and Wahoo via USB, and not use the 5-pin connections at all. Your sequencer software would need to be able to send MIDI clock to multiple MIDI devices at the same time. If it supports that, then it's easy, just connect both Voluum and Wahoo to your computer and connect the sequencer to the MIDI In ports of both of these.
Flop54

Post by Flop54 »

Ah ok. No i would said to link the voluum and the wahoo but It's impossible..
So I think if you add this option it was a good think for me.
Flop54

Post by Flop54 »

Hello,

So do you think you can add this option for me?
I hope I could pre order the voluum this week!
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

Yes, we are planning to add this. The MIDI code for the Voluum is just being completed now, and one of the jobs on the list is to include this (a thru option to echo what is received on the MIDI-In to the MIDI-Out so that MIDI devices can be chained).
Flop54

Post by Flop54 »

Yyyyeeeesss! You are the best!