Voluum Tremolo

For the Voluum™ Digitally-Controlled Analogue Volume Effects Pedal

Moderators: johnmc, james

alan121234

Voluum Tremolo

Post by alan121234 »

Hi
Im poised to pre-order a voluum pedal but as yet there is not a comprehensive demo of the tremolo possibilities. I need to be certain that I can get what I would call a mellow vintage trem. The nearest existing pedals that give what I mean are the Fulltone Supatrem 2 and the Suhr Jackrabbit Its a fatter sound than a typical Fender trem.Can you confirm that its possible to progamme this type of trem in?
Thanks
Alan
james
Site Admin

Re: Voluum Tremolo

Post by james »

Hi Alan,

Currently, you can get pretty close to a vintage Fender tremolo. We've had a preset designer compare their collection of fender amps with the Voluum to make a preset that is pretty close. This emulates the asymmetry in the waveform shape by using the trapezoid LFO waveform of the Voluum.

However, it's not yet a perfect emulation. We are planning a firmware upgrade that will get the tremolo as close as possible so that all the subtle modulation characteristics of the vintage fender circuits are replicated. We've started experimenting with this, but it's not yet complete. So it's certainly possible but we just need to figure out the best way to make this easy to configure.
alan121234

Post by alan121234 »

Hi James
More questions re trem.If you currently have a trem, preset thats pretty close to vintage Fender trem. would I be able to tweak it particularly tonewise? Also there are three main fender trems ,61harmonic,63 tube and 65 photocell Are you aiming with your firmware up date at replicating each one individually or will it still be generic fender trem ? ( The 63 tube trem is what Im on about )Can you give me an Idea of the editing possibilies of the trem? Finally for the moment , if I preorder now will I get the model with the trem upgrade ?
Sorry to go on about this but if the trems right for me the voluum will give me the ultimate pedalboard at half the size
Thanks
Alan
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

The plan is to be able to replicate all of these. Either by having separate waveforms that replicate each one individually, or by having a generic "vintage" style that can have some parameters tweaked. Sorry for being vague, but we've only just been able to start looking at this so we're not yet sure exactly what form this will take.

One thing the Voluum won't do is replicate any tonal loss caused by some tremolo circuits. The Voluum has a very transparent, low-distortion signal path, so it can't replicate any harmonic distortion or high-frequency roll-off that some circuits impart. However, the main sonic character is in the shape how the volume is modulated, and we can replicate that.

All Voluums will get this upgrade. It's a free firmware update that adjusts how the analogue circuitry is controlled, it doesn't modify any of the analogue circuitry.
alan121234

Post by alan121234 »

Thanks James ,sounds like youre aiming to at least equal the American boutique tremolos
Alan
phaedrus

Post by phaedrus »

Hi
I too have similar sleepness nights.
I don't use compression much, but I do like tremolo. I have two in effects loop, one before modulation and another after mod, delay and verb.

I frequently use slow, low depth tremolo, but didn't want it all the way through certain songs, so the pedal (I mean treadle?) works like a charm. Also being able to vary other tremolo parameters, mostly speed through the treadle is perfect for my applications. Loving it!

However, when I do use compression it has always been before dirt, and only used for sustain, rather than the squishy fast attack that some players require. Also, when I use my rack gear, I have a compressor/gate/limiter right at the end of the chain, but it's very subtle.

My plan is to leave the rack gear in the studio and use the voluum. I sold on my keeley and cs3 to give me the footprint I needed. I was hoping to ditch my volume pedal too, but unless I use MIDI automation to change the voluum's parameters from volume to trem rates etc and back, it's too much hassle.

So, I just wondered if anyone had an opinion on where I should place MY voluum?

I have my wah, dirt (pushing amp into drive) then volume pedal (pushing amp further into drive and for swells) into the front end of my amp, then have my modulation, delay, verb and already mentioned tremolos in the amps fx loop.

I generally play with crunch, nothing really high gain, solo boost, but occasionally I do need the Oasis type gain, but my amp helps me achieve all that.

Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated!
alan121234

Post by alan121234 »

Hi James
Any updates on the tremolo side of things .Ive discovered that the mellow tremolo I was on about a few weeks ago is called a "bias wiggle" tremolo. and appeared on Gibson amps of the past
Alan121234
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

No update so far. We've been too busy getting the Voluum into full production. Hoping to look at this in the next few weeks. We have some examples of "bias wiggle" tremolo, so I will make sure we look at that carefully, as well as the optical-based tremolos.
canbaz

Post by canbaz »

Hi James,
First of all, Voluum is a wonderful pedal, very deep and creative. In addition, it is very robust, beautiful, and it has great features. I would like to thank you for making this real for us.

While fiddling with the pedal, I realized that the LFO could have more options:

1) The waveform could be asymmetrical and nonlinear at the same time, as you described above. I think you can do this by adding the option to control (increase/decrease) the convexness/concaveness of the right (descending) and left (ascending) sides of the the trapezoid wave. At the moment they are linear, however with this option, the sides can become concave or convex individually (separately). I don't know if you would still call this shape "trapezoid" :). Maybe instead, you would add another shape called "free form" featuring this option with the ramp up/down controls. Finally, we may obtain composite waveforms.

2) You could add duty cycle control for the sine wave and the trapezoid wave. This may result in very interesting sounds.

Also, I noticed that the LEDs act weird when the duty cycle is at its extremes (eg %1). Maybe this is not a software bug, but caused by the physical limits of the LEDs.

Will there be a Voluum update soon? Is there any possibility of adding the controls that I ask for?

I don't know if you plan to add a third pedal to your product line. I hope that you will. I would suggest an analog time-based pedal with a similar approach. A pedal that can do chorus flanger and offer lots of creative controls. It can also have a LPF on the repeats.
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

I am very pleased to hear you live the Voluum so much. This is the sort of reaction we hoped for when we created it.

I agree about the LFO options. Actually, we've been working on adding "classic" tremolo options to get more variation like you suggest. We've not had time to finish this off (our biggest trade show, NAMM, is in January and we have a lot of things to get ready for that). But, would you like to try a beta version of where we are so far? It would be great to get your feedback. I've sent you a PM so we can communicate via email and give you the beta firmware/editor.

LEDs -- is it when it goes very fast? Or something else. If it's something else can you give me a preset that shows this and I will check it. Maybe it's a bug. Most likely it's because the update is slowed to ensure it doesn't cause strange aliasing when it goes too fast.

A third pedal that does time-based effects would complete our pedals. It's certainly something we have discussed here.