Voluum/Line6 M5 Midi Question

For the Voluum™ Digitally-Controlled Analogue Volume Effects Pedal

Moderators: johnmc, james

Mr2D

Voluum/Line6 M5 Midi Question

Post by Mr2D »

Hello!

I have a Voluum and love it - I'm currently also using it as a midi expression pedal for my Line6 M5, for which it's easily better than anything else I've used.

The only thing I've found to missing on the Voluum is tap tempo for the LFO - so my question is this, can I use the Voluum as an expression pedal to the M5 and use the tap tempo from the M5 to control the Voluum's LFO at the same time, or will this cause terrible problems? (i.e. MIDI out Voluum -> MIDI in M5 for the expression pedal & MIDI out M5 -> MIDI in Voluum for the M5 for the tap temp/clock).

I know the M5 can send MIDI clock, so I assume it's feasible, but wanted to check before I destroy two pedals I love!

Thanks

David
james
Site Admin

Re: Voluum/Line6 M5 Midi Question

Post by james »

Pleased to hear you love the Voluum :D

You can do two things:

The Voluum LFOs do have a tap tempo. You set the "typ" to "tap" (or on the editor, set "tempo clock" to "tap tempo". Rocking the pedal back and forth with let you tap in the tempo of the LFO.

You can also send MIDI clock to the Voluum from your Line 6 M5. Just set up the Voluum LFO to use this: set "typ" to "syn" (or on the editor, set "tempo clock" to "midi sync"). The Voluum MIDI-OUT can also be connected to the M5 to send MIDI expression (the MIDI clock won't get sent back to the M5, so you don't need to worry about strange timing loops).
Mr2D

Re: Voluum/Line6 M5 Midi Question

Post by Mr2D »

Well, That'll teach me to read the manual properly - still being able to sync tap tempos from my M5 to my Voluum will be very excellent!

Thank you very much, I'll give it a razz.