different ways to generate and send pitch bend

The i2M musicport™ MIDI Converter & Hi-Z USB Audio Interface

Moderators: johnmc, james

moodmaster

different ways to generate and send pitch bend

Post by moodmaster »

I don't play lead guitar. However I want guitar lead simulation.
I am playing a (guitar vst vir2) via 88 note keyboard with two and one hand/s
Nothing is plugged into the i2M at present.
Can I somehow configure the i2M to perform (ONLY) 14bit MIDI pitch bend on same channel as vst ?
james
Site Admin

Re: different ways to generate and send pitch bend

Post by james »

What are you going to connect to the i2M?

The i2M will always send notes with the pitch-bend. But you may be able to filter this out in your sequencer when you record it, or delete the MIDI notes after you recording, and keep the pitch-bend data. Exactly how you do this depends on the sequencer you are using.
moodmaster

Post by moodmaster »

Ok thanks but what do you suggest on HOW to generate the pitch bend...do I have to input audio into the i2M? sorry I am not too midi-smart.
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

Yes, the i2M takes audio and turns that into MIDI. For example, you could connect a microphone to the i2M and sing into it. Your singing will be converted to MIDI and you use that.

With keyboards, pitch-bend is typically done using a pitch-wheel on the keyboard. But it is very difficult to get realistic pitch-bend using a wheel (for example, you can't move it fast enough, compared to bending a string on a guitar). The i2M solves this (for non-keyboard instruments) by letting you use your natural instrument (guitar, voice, flute, etc) to generate the MIDI notes and pitch bend.

Do you play other instruments, or sing?
moodmaster

Post by moodmaster »

ok the setup page in the software has settings about pitch bend...I don't really "get" that section...is any of it what I need to adjust?

Yes I can sing along with my keys playing...have gtr vst on headphones and scat into mic not hearing my sung notes...maybe scat sounds or rig up a small string instrument and do actual bends?...I know of midi filtering software that I can filter note-ons and leave pitch bend to pass through

thoughts?

thanks
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

You don't need to adjust anything in the editor. The default guitar settings (green logo, not flashing) will work fine for you. But you can change the "instrument" to "Voice / Wind" for singing for slightly better tracking.

Headphones are a good idea -- if you can hear the MIDI instrument more than your voice it really helps you to create the right MIDI sounds.