No effects..

For the Voluum™ Digitally-Controlled Analogue Volume Effects Pedal

Moderators: johnmc, james

stopherjd

No effects..

Post by stopherjd »

Have just received the Sonnus Voluum and was giddy with excitement but I can get no effect out of it. The lights are on and react to the rocking of the pedal, using the up/down buttons and rotary effect knob changes the patches but all I get is the bypassed signal. I followed the instructions and uploaded new firmware (Voluum_1_0300.sfu) and opened the editor. Software and pedal seem to communicate fine but all I get is bypassed signal. Am I being a doofus and missing something or is there a real problem with it?
james
Site Admin

Re: No effects..

Post by james »

What power supply are you using?

I'm wondering if there isn't enough current to power everything. The bypass switching is done using relays, and those require extra current to do the switch. So they may be just enough current to power everything, but not enough to get the relays to switch.
stopherjd

Post by stopherjd »

Not a doofus. Having checked it throughly both in and out jack sockets were a little loose. Tightened up 'in' a little and working but with hiss. Tightened more and all seems to be ok. Shame on you, quality control.

Now let's see what it's all about....
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

That's odd. The QC is usually very consistent on all the units.

Also the tightness, or looseness of those jack nuts shouldn't affect the sound -- it should work correctly even if these are removed. So please check it all seems ok.
stopherjd

Post by stopherjd »

I was using 9v daisy chain which powers 3 other boss pedals then I went on to usb power. The problem has returned with added weirdness which I will describe as spasmodic interference ( a little like morse code on the radio). Ideas?

Re- powered with daisy chain, interference gone but back to square one.

Back to usb, interference back and signal unaffected.
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

Is it a USB power problem? What is providing the USB power? Sometimes you can get terrible ground-loop noise if USB is connected to a desktop computer (so its power supply is also connected to the mains ground). If this is present, it will be worse if the Voluum is taking power from USB (it just increases the ground-loop currents getting to the audio). Laptops often don't have this problem (they have floating power supplies).

Usually if 9V power is used and USB is connected, the USB noise will be reduced significantly; but sometimes it can't be eliminated completely, and you need to use a USB isolator to remove it completely.

Does this happen if the only thing connected is guitar -> Voluum -> Amp? With a single PSU (not daisy chained) powering the Voluum. Does it change with different PSUs? Or batteries?
stopherjd

Post by stopherjd »

So,.... I only have a desktop computer, and for the short time when all was well and it worked, there was no interference.

I have taken it out of the daisy chain (so it's just guitar-pedal-amp) and powered it with the PSU (I only have one), no change, the signal is still unaffected.

Brand new set of batteries, lights on but the signal is still unaffected.

....?
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

A quick check... if you press and hold the "active" and the "up" button it will give you a battery level in %... what does that show, close to 100?

If so, I can only assume there is some kind of power problem inside the pedal.
stopherjd

Post by stopherjd »

It reads 97
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

OK...

I remember one instance of a bad hand-soldered connection between the analogue and digital boards. The sort of thing you can't easily see during QC inspections, and it works correctly, but jiggling around in transport caused it to fail. I wonder if the same thing has happened here. In which case we can easily fix it for you (just reflow the solder joints) or replace it if we can't fix it quickly. This is all I can think of that could be causing the problem -- as you say, it seems to be intermittent, and such a failed/incomplete solder joint would explain this.

Can you please send me a PM will all your details and we can discuss it further.