Pitch bending as a parameter controller?

The i2M musicport™ MIDI Converter & Hi-Z USB Audio Interface

Moderators: johnmc, james

kao

Pitch bending as a parameter controller?

Post by kao »

is it possible? it seems like a very good idea. Mainly because when I first plugged in the i2m, I see the pitch knob for my VSTi oscillating randomly and I was thinking that this would be a great way to control a parameter within the VSTi itself. Modulation is crucial in certain genres and playing techniques.

My initial plan was to have both the i2m and my MIDI keyboard plugged in, and to just modulate parameters with the knobs and sliders on my keyboard.

I quickly realized how inconvenient such a technique was, but then an idea sprang into my head. Seeing as how in chromatic mode any pitch bends causes the pitch in the VSTi plugin to bend, which I saw expressed through the manipulation of the pitch knob. If such a message could be routed to parameters such as sync frequency, phaser, etc.. It would open up a whole world of possibilities. :D

TL;DR
can I manipulate parameters through pitch bending?
james
Site Admin

Re: Pitch bending as a parameter controller?

Post by james »

Yes, it would be easy to route pitch-bend to other controllers. I think it's a good idea and have added this to our list of future features for the i2M software.

In chromatic mode, things are a bit trickier, because pitch-bend cannot go very far before it triggers a new note (less than 1 semitone of movement). So it probably isn't so useful in that mode. Therefore, simply having an option to duplicate the pitch-bend data to a controller of your choice makes the most sense.

FYI: On our next product (to be announced at Winter NAMM later this month) we do something like this to route pitch-bend to control something else.
flumpjumper

Post by flumpjumper »

Yeah, I'm thinking along similar lines.
Using the pitch detection as a software control?
Is it easy to do yet? (Maybe I should just try myself first).
I'll be back...
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

The latest i2M firmware/editor has this feature. You can now send "pitch-bend" messages as any MIDI controller.

Our Wahoo pedal uses this to control the filter sweep: so you can wah when you bend notes, but the filter stays closed when you play on-pitch. It's a very cool, and useful effect.