I2M not tracking correctly. Unsure how to fix.

The i2M musicport™ MIDI Converter & Hi-Z USB Audio Interface

Moderators: johnmc, james

mboone

I2M not tracking correctly. Unsure how to fix.

Post by mboone »

Hi,

I just picked up an I2M this week and I have been using it in Reason 5. The only problem I am having problems is getting it to track correctly. If I play a faster run it seems like it takes a second for everything to catch up sometimes sounding jumbled and not complete or sometimes just delayed by a few ms(this is with a violin setting). Or sometimes I can just be doing hammer ons between 2 notes to check things and out of nowhere it will hold out one of the 2 notes (this is with all strings muted).

I tried the firmware update and few different settings within the editor but I still can't get it to track well like some of these videos I am seeing on youtube. I'm not sure whats going wrong but I'm just eager to get this tracking accurately as possible because it seems like an awesome device. Any idea what may be going wrong or what I can do to get this working correctly?

I also installed Midi-ox and it appears to be sending note on and note off at same time as well but I don't know if that means anything.
james
Site Admin

Re: I2M not tracking correctly. Unsure how to fix.

Post by james »

It sounds as if there is some USB/MIDI problem causing that's preventing the MIDI notes being sent in real-time to Reason.

A couple of things to check:

(1) How is the i2M configured? If in doubt, you can "reset to factory settings" from the i2M editor setup page. If you have settings you want to save, do a "Save All" before doing this so you can get them back.

(2) Try another USB cable just to see if this is causing problems.

(3) Run latency test mode from the the i2M editor and see if this appears to work correctly (watch the i2M light and listen to the sound at the same time). If this is ok, leave it running for a while to check it is stable.

Regarding MIDI-Ox, it may be sending note on and off at the same time, but the notes should have different numbers (it's turning off the last note, and turning on the new note).
mboone

Post by mboone »

Hi James,

Thanks for the reply.

I have tried setting back to defaults and have updated firmware to 1.3.01. I also tried a new USB cable but it didn't seem to fix the issue.

I did try the latency test though and the sound and the i2m seem to be in sync together during that test, but not consistently during playing. Any other suggestions?
mboone

Post by mboone »

Any other input on this James? Still not tracking correctly tried in Fruity Loops and doing the same thing.

I did try using without midi conversion in reaper just to see if it recorded the guitar normally and that seemed to work fine but the midi conversion just isn't coming thru right. Going to try a different computer tomorrow.
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

Sorry for the late reply, I got caught up in some other things.

Can you record both the audio from the i2M and the MIDI from the i2M at the same time, then send it to us? We can then look at the audio and MIDI and help you work out what is happening. We can then compare the audio and the MIDI that was generated from that audio.

In most cases the problem is simply that the playing is not clean enough and there are other strings being played even if you don't mean to play them. To help with this, we've started selling "BuzNut" (http://www.sonuus.com/products_accessories.html) which can really help prevent open strings from being played when you don't want them to be.

Of course, if may be another problem, but if the audio on the i2M seems ok, then this is unlikely.